Chameleon swollen ankles

sarahgeorge

So hey i have a girl yeman chameleon for a year now in march she fell and broke her tail took her to the vets they gave her an injection and a tub of nutrobal calcium ive been using it ever since and they said get a 10.0 UVA strip so i got one... Yesterday i found her with swollen ankles/feet so i phoned for an appointment at a new vets they said its either an infection or ive been giving to much calcium... They gave her some stuff to treat the infection to see it if helps im going back wednesday with her but yeah i just need someones advice on what to do if it is too much calcium will her ankles/feet stay swollen? I feel so guilty that shes suffering at the moment
Her tank;
Glass with mesh roof
In the cold spot its 85f and 50% humid (100w bulb in and i spray her 3/4 times a day)
Its a big enough tank for her
Her diet is medium brown crickets and wax worms for a treat with the nutrobal on top

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about

it would be best if you answered that quick questionaire for people to be able to give you more specific help. two things you said most people will jump on you about is the UVA light and you said "tank"

don't know much about yemens, but uvb light with basking light and screen cage tends to be the norm.

Ooops sorry didnt mean tank tank like a fish tank its a exo terra one and ive just checked its a uvb bulb thing! Im so tired im not thinking straight been worrying all night

85 is way too hot for a cold spot. that should more like your basking temp and your cage should be atleast 10 degrees cooler.

Yup vets just said about gout there gonna keep it in tomorrow and xray it its 70f in the cool spot now Cheers for the advice

I use plain calcium every second day and nutrobal once a week. Some members here say nutrabol twice a month. My previous veiled had all sorts of calcium/ vitamin related problems I think due to using nutrabol daily. That was in the days before forum. There is much more knowledge around today. Don't know where you live but in uk a lot of the supplements mentioned in the forum are not available .

I live in the uk just on the border of england and scotland... I got my chameleon from lancaster from the reptile room i think theres hardly any vets what do reptiles up here

So with regards to vitamins is it OK if you give CALCIUM with D3 2x/month and MULTI-VITAMINS 2x/month and completely remove the plain CALCIUM??? Thanks!

No you must dust feeders with plain calcium depending on age and type of Cham you have. Calcium with d3 every two weeks. It is a little different in uk as where I live the weather is not as favourable that I can take my Cham outside into natural sunshine. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will reply soon.
My point is that too much d3 that is in nutrabol is not good for every feed.

I didn't know this but i do now! the old vet said use it and gave me a tub (ive changed vets since) she didn't saying about using other stuff :( i feel so guilty it's my first time with a Chameleon

So with regards to vitamins is it OK if you give CALCIUM with D3 2x/month and MULTI-VITAMINS 2x/month and completely remove the plain CALCIUM??? Thanks!

No.

Calcium without D3 or phosphorus at nearly every feeding - very important!
In addition to: multivitamin once every 2 weeks and a calcium with D3 once every 2 weeks. Too much D3 can cause toxicity issues so you can't just give the one type of calcium with D3 too often.

Thanks Ferret, explained beautifully. Sarah, for everyday I use Komodo cricket dust. It is just calcium. If you can't get it locally it is easily sourced on line.

Could be that the swelling is gout...but you will need to have the vet do a test for it.

Regarding supplements...

Since most feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phos. It's important to dust the insects with a phos-free calcium powder at most feedings to make up for it.

I dust with a phos-free calcium/D3 powder twice a month to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3. D3 from supplements can build up in the system though so it's best to use it with caution and let the chameleon produce its own D3 through exposure to the UVB light.

I dust with a vitamin powder twice a month that has a beta carotene source of vitamin A. Vitamin A from beta carotene will not build up in the system like preformed vitamin A will. There is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene or not so this leaves it interesting owner's hands to decide.

Vitamin A and D3 are antagonistic to each other so it's important to make sure they are in balance.

Gutloading the insects, temperature, proper lighting all play rolls in nutrient balance along with supplementing.

Shes at the vets now getting xray and tests im picking her up in a hour the vet said if it is gout there is a treatment for it but it doesnt always work so ive got to make a decision

Shes fine to much calcium shes thinking i tried putting her tank back to normally but she fell and is now all shaken up

Back
Top Bottom