Chameleon lying on perch

Hello everybody! I've noticed that my 3 month old veiled is laying down on his perch. Is this a bad thing?

Chameleon info:

My Chameleon: 3 month old male veiled chameleon. I got him a month ago.

Handling: none.

Feeding: I have small crickets in a cricket keeper with greens and fruits for gutload. Dust with calcium.

Supplements: see Feeding

Watering: Little Dripper on top of cage with spout dripping water onto live plants on side of cage. Fogger, mister. Had to put a bucket under cage because water was getting on my dresser. I mist twice a day.

Fecal Description: Seems to be normal. Wet but probably because the bottom if the cage is wet.

History: none.

Cage info:

Cage type: medium (18x18x30 in.) reptibreeze terrarium.

Lighting: UVB dome lamp and 50 watt basking bulb

Humidity: 40-45%

Temperature: 80-86 degrees Fahrenheit

Plants: live and fake plants

Placement: top of cage is about 7 feet high on dresser

Current Problem: Low humidity

If he is laying on a branch sleeping or with his eyes closed it might be lack of sleep or a bigger problem. If he is lying there awake he is most likely just resting or basking is a warmer area of the cage . My Cham will sometimes sit there watching me or out a window.

If he is laying on a branch sleeping or with his eyes closed it might be lack of sleep or a bigger problem. If he is lying there awake he is most likely just resting or basking is a warmer area of the cage . My Cham will sometimes sit there watching me or out a window.

No he has his eyes open and is totally alert

Increase misting with lukewarm water since u mentioned ur low humidity.sun bask him whenever u can with the proper temperature n ur supervision when u take him outside.

Posting pictures of his behavior would be helpful. Also are you sure the UVB bulb in the dome is indeed a UVB light? What kind is is?

wish there was a picture if its what i think it is hes telling you hes hot laying down on the perch hes absorbing the humidity trying to cool off

wish there was a picture if its what i think it is hes telling you hes hot laying down on the perch hes absorbing the humidity trying to cool off

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 389
This is the calcium I'm using. I haven't given him any multivitamins yet because I read you only give it to them once a month along with calcium with D3. What multivitamin would you recommend?
I use reptivite with d3. I use it two times a month and do not use calcium with d3

Here's a pic.
Looks like he is just basking under the heat lamp to me. I am no expert but I'd say he is okay. If you humidity spikes when misting then you should be okay. Calcium without D3 daily and d3 and multivitamins even other weekend. Others will chime in to give more help or peace of mind.

I have to ask is this from lack of sleep? Is the room he is in totally dark at night? What is your light schedule? Chameleon bask to absorb heat from a overhead source to regulate their body temp. It also helps them digest food. This chameleon, if he was hot ,would move down in the enclosurer to cool off. Not just lay there to absorb humidity .I would worry about him just laying there, if not basking.

Last edited:
Another question is why do you think your humidity is low, how are you measuring? Mine stays around 45-50 then spikes to 80-90 when I mist. How long does he lay there like that? Is it when he first wakes up or after he eats? Is it all day? Mine when he was little would Bask off and on, but not all day. I have different gradients so he can go where is is most comfortable. How often do you must and for how long?

That bluish light on the right (righ side of the picture) doesn't look like a UVB bulb. It looks like one of those daylight blue bulbs. If that's the case then you haven't been using a UVB bulb. If both bulbs are light bulb shaped then neither are UVB bulbs. Compact UVB bulbs are either spiral shaped or straight and long.

That bluish light on the right (righ side of the picture) doesn't look like a UVB bulb. It looks like one of those daylight blue bulbs. If that's the case then you haven't been using a UVB bulb. If both bulbs are light bulb shaped then neither are UVB bulbs. Compact UVB bulbs are either spiral shaped or straight and long.

This is the UVB I'm using.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    902.2 KB · Views: 148
Another question is why do you think your humidity is low, how are you measuring? Mine stays around 45-50 then spikes to 80-90 when I mist. How long does he lay there like that? Is it when he first wakes up or after he eats? Is it all day? Mine when he was little would Bask off and on, but not all day. I have different gradients so he can go where is is most comfortable. How often do you must and for how long?

He seems to lie there the first half of the day and then gets up and goes towards the bottom where the humidity is highest. His basking spot hits about 80-85 degrees. I mist once in the morning at about 5:30 (I have to go to school) and 7 at night. I have a most that goes off every two hours for 60 seconds.

I have to ask is this from lack of sleep? Is the room he is in totally dark at night? What is your light schedule? Chameleon bask to absorb heat from a overhead source to regulate their body temp. It also helps them digest food. This chameleon, if he was hot ,would move down in the enclosurer to cool off. Not just lay there to absorb humidity .I would worry about him just laying there, if not basking.

His light schedule is about 14 hours on and 10 hours off. I get up at about 5:20 and turn on his lights after I take a shower (I have to go to school). I turn them off at about 7ish and the room is completely dark. I also feed him after I turn his lights off in the morning. 10 crickets a day.

Wait I'm confused here...You feed him after you turn the lights off in the morning? or was this a typo and you meant on. I would get a timer to do this for you ,say on a 5:30 am and off at 5:30 pm. A 12 hour schedule

Wait I'm confused here...You feed him after you turn the lights off in the morning? or was this a typo and you meant on. I would get a timer to do this for you ,say on a 5:30 am and off at 5:30 pm. A 12 hour schedule

Yes that's what I meant. I feed him after I turn on the light

Back
Top Bottom