Cham was fine first week but down hill

ok the pic files are like 2.13 and they have to be 2.0 to post..how do i downsize them? iv been tryin for 15 min to get a pic in my gallery and it wont work

do you have any photo editing program or elements?
You go to image -> image size -> and reduce the resolution to 72 dpi.
you can shrink the image size to 800 pixel or less.

i have adobe photoshop..i dont know how to work it tho its my parents laptop im usin right now..do u know how i would make the pixels smaller?

I use adobe photoshop elements. Not sure if it works the same. DO you have the Adobe photoshop program open and are you viewing the photo(s) in the adobe program window now? If so, then you open the photo you want to reduce by double clicking on it. Then click on "image" in the toolbar at the top of the adobe window. CLick on "resize" then click on "image size". Then, in the "width" and "height" windows, enter numbers in the 500 to 750 range. I don't know what the dimensions of your photo are, but a height of 750 and width of around 500 is good, or visa versa. Then save that file with the new size and upload it.

Of course, I don't know what kindof machine you're using or what operating system. If it's windows, then, to get the photos into photoshop you open explorer, create a folder in your data drive, and drop the photos into that folder. Then you open adobe photoshop and click on "file" in the top toolbar, and then click on "browse" and find that folder you created, click on it, and then double click on the photo to open it.

Hey, you did it. Actually, the cham looks very good. The cage looks OK, too. But it is best to have live plants. And it's best if the feeder cup is not clear. It's better to use an opaque plastic cup for a feeder. It helps keep the cham from slamming his tongue into the bottom of the feeder cup and hurting himself. Do you have any vines in there for horizontal movement. Also, I didn't see a basking area. Near the basking light there should be some arrangement of wood or vines to form a platform of sorts for the cham to relax on while he basks. The basking should be done in a specific limited area near the top of the cage. DO not light up the entire cage, or heat up the enture cage, with the basking light. Let it do its job in one limited area, so the cham has a nice variety of hotter and cooler areas, and brighter and dimmer areas.

He does have a bright basking light during the day?

If you are in Southern California it doesn't seem like that window would get too cold at night. Your cham's ambient temp can drop to mid 60's at night.

We have a female veiled who sometimes stays dark like that. We have several chams who darken up like that a week or so before a shed.

I know this is a downer, but My husband just walked in and reminded me that we have a cham that was dark until we got a fecal done, found out it had parasites, and treated the parasites. Then the true colors of the cham came out. I'm not saying that's the case here.

They do look skinny at that age. It was a little difficult to tell from your photos, though. It is possible that he had a growth spurt, and so now looks all gangly and skinny. When that happens it takes a bit for them to fill out again. Also, if he just had a growth spurt he may be heading into a full body shed, and so may be dark because of that. If the dark areas become cloudy looking you will know it's a shed. SOme chams take their sheds harder than others.

At that age you should be feeding it as much as it wants. If he's hungry he'll be unhappy.

Last edited:
ok thanks man, and just to let u know hes only dark when he crawls on mesh..when i set the new bask light up he brightened up and chilled there for a while until i came in the room of course :p...and it might be hard to see but he has a sort of vine going up at an angle by the basking light.. so he does bask and i have a real ficus in there if u couldnt see it :) hes sleepin in it right now hes so tight! he practically glows lol oh about the bright light all i have is a red light which im keepin on at night durin the winter season unless thats bad? i just dont want em to get too cold :(...should i change to a bright light durin day?

Last edited:
ok thanks man, and just to let u know hes only dark when he crawls on mesh..when i set the new bask light up he brightened up and chilled there for a while until i came in the room of course :p...and it might be hard to see but he has a sort of vine going up at an angle by the basking light.. so he does bask and i have a real ficus in there if u couldnt see it :) hes sleepin in it right now hes so tight! he practically glows lol oh about the bright light all i have is a red light which im keepin on at night durin the winter season unless thats bad? i just dont want em to get too cold :(...should i change to a bright light durin day?

you live in South California, right? (I somewhat recall you said it somewhere).
Then you don't need to turn on the red light at all.
All lights should be off.
This is where it's handy to have thermometer inside of the cage.
As long the temp doesn't drop below 60, it'll be fine.
and If you are a fellow Californian like me :), anytime our house drops below 60.. I'm sure one of my family member will turn on the heater.
I also turn on my humidifier whenever they do that (because AC and Heater tends to rob the room's humidity).

you live in South California, right? (I somewhat recall you said it somewhere).
Then you don't need to turn on the red light at all.
All lights should be off.
This is where it's handy to have thermometer inside of the cage.
As long the temp doesn't drop below 60, it'll be fine.
and If you are a fellow Californian like me :), anytime our house drops below 60.. I'm sure one of my family member will turn on the heater.
I also turn on my humidifier whenever they do that (because AC and Heater tends to rob the room's humidity).
haha ok turning his light off this very minute..man i have this cute rat in my room in a lil cage thing cuz my ball python wouldnt eat it >.<..it keeps squeaking its annoying but cute at the same time..i wanna hold it but its like 1:15 in the mornin and if it gets loose in my room then my mom'll have problems..

haha ok turning his light off this very minute..man i have this cute rat in my room in a lil cage thing cuz my ball python wouldnt eat it >.<..it keeps squeaking its annoying but cute at the same time..i wanna hold it but its like 1:15 in the mornin and if it gets loose in my room then my mom'll have problems..

as far as sanitary thing that Zoey talks to you about, she does bring a valid point.
I also keep my cham in my bedroom.
So, since you guys are sharing room, make sure you exercise extreme cleanliness.
Chameleon is a clean animal and their health tends to deteriorate when you neglect their enclosure sanitary.
So, by exercising cleanliness, you will do good for both you and your chameleon.

I would suggest wearing gloves (nitrile gloves the best) when you need to clean the cage or handling him).
Without trying to freak you out, there are some diseases and parasites that a chameleon can transfer to his owner :)

Most common is ring worm. and trust me, you do not want to get ringworm from your pet :D

as far as sanitary thing that Zoey talks to you about, she does bring a valid point.
I also keep my cham in my bedroom.
So, since you guys are sharing room, make sure you exercise extreme cleanliness.
Chameleon is a clean animal and their health tends to deteriorate when you neglect their enclosure sanitary.
So, by exercising cleanliness, you will do good for both you and your chameleon.

I would suggest wearing gloves (nitrile gloves the best) when you need to clean the cage or handling him).
Without trying to freak you out, there are some diseases and parasites that a chameleon can transfer to his owner :)

Most common is ring worm. and trust me, you do not want to get ringworm from your pet :D
ayyyyy! bleh..who am i kidding i can barely move around the room without bumping into a cage with some creature..

Howdy,

I'll try to summarize a few of the posts from different threads regarding your veiled...

From the photos, he looks to be in decent shape :).

Switch-out the red heat lamp for a simple 75W white flood lamp. Fancy isn't necessary. A $4 one from Lowe's or Home Depot etc. is fine. Mentally, he will benefit from bright white light along with his UVB light source. Run the lights for around 10-12 hours (not longer.) Use a timer and have them come on around sunrise. His basking spot should produce a skin temperature of around 90-100F.

Is that 18" UVB tube in a reflector fixture? If not, you could improve things by adding a reflector to it to direct more of the UVB towards the enclosure. (Do I recall correctly that it is a Reptisun 5.0?)

Your enclosure looks like it has a decent amount of plant cover. Can you raise the enclosure so that the top is taller than you? Chameleons benefit from be positioned high enough to look down at their keepers. It gives them less of a feeling of being the prey ready to be eaten :eek:.

I couldn't see any, but if you have any substrate (bark etc.) on the bottom, go ahead and remove it. See if you can figure out a way to setup drainage underneath the enclosure (Rubbermaid box???) so that you can easily let the misting water drain out of the enclosure for proper disposal. It looks like you have a nice pump-up mist bottle so keep up the long, warm misting sessions. Try one between 7am and noon aiming for 8am and another somewhere between noon and 4pm with 2pm being a good time. Keep them 4-6 hours apart. 10-15 minutes long would be good.

Gotta dash for now!

Howdy,

I'll try to summarize a few of the posts from different threads regarding your veiled...

From the photos, he looks to be in decent shape :).

Switch-out the red heat lamp for a simple 75W white flood lamp. Fancy isn't necessary. A $4 one from Lowe's or Home Depot etc. is fine. Mentally, he will benefit from bright white light along with his UVB light source. Run the lights for around 10-12 hours (not longer.) Use a timer and have them come on around sunrise. His basking spot should produce a skin temperature of around 90-100F.

Is that 18" UVB tube in a reflector fixture? If not, you could improve things by adding a reflector to it to direct more of the UVB towards the enclosure. (Do I recall correctly that it is a Reptisun 5.0?)

Your enclosure looks like it has a decent amount of plant cover. Can you raise the enclosure so that the top is taller than you? Chameleons benefit from be positioned high enough to look down at their keepers. It gives them less of a feeling of being the prey ready to be eaten :eek:.

I couldn't see any, but if you have any substrate (bark etc.) on the bottom, go ahead and remove it. See if you can figure out a way to setup drainage underneath the enclosure (Rubbermaid box???) so that you can easily let the misting water drain out of the enclosure for proper disposal. It looks like you have a nice pump-up mist bottle so keep up the long, warm misting sessions. Try one between 7am and noon aiming for 8am and another somewhere between noon and 4pm with 2pm being a good time. Keep them 4-6 hours apart. 10-15 minutes long would be good.

Gotta dash for now!
thanks for the advice, yes i have a drainage system, no i do not have substrate, thanks for all ur advice

dodolah said..."Most common is ring worm"...never heard of a chameleon getting ring worm before...there is a fungus Nannizziopsis Vriesii, that can look a bit like ring worm when it first presents. Did it kill the chameleons? Can you tell me more about it please? I thought it was only a mammalian "thing".

I was wondering the same thing re: "most common is ringworm". I too have never heard of a reptile having and transmitting ringworm to humans. I too was under the impression ringworm is a fungus transmitted among mammals, so I'm curious as well.

Perhaps dodolah meant Salmonella?

oopsss :eek:
yes salmonella and the worms are actually round worms. (but as far as i know, it's not transferable to human, yes?)
sorry.. i think i type that very late last night.
you are right. ring worms are mammals parasites.

sorry for the confusion.:D

Back
Top Bottom