Cham rescues

brighteyez

A friend of mine participates in this rescue program for dogs. She takes in dogs as foster pets, so that they can be cared for, and if needed, nursed back to health, while they are waiting to be adopted. It's really great, because the dog can have a real family, and get personal attention, instead of being in a shelter somewhere, where they might end up getting put down. The dogs in the program are either saved from bad pet shops, puppie mills, etc. or are sometimes surrendered by owners who can no longer take care of them.

I was just thinking, is there anything like that for chams??

If not, there should be, don't ya think.

as much as i agree with you, i don't think it would be possible for 2 reasons;

1. Most people don't empathise with reptiles, just like most people don't have emotional attachments to fish. This forum is a great exception to this though.

2. The care a chameleon, let alone a sick/rescue chameleon would need is MUCH more demanding then a dog's needs. I think most chams would die before ever being adopted.

I can still hope though : /

That's me! I'm easy to reach by email at [email protected] but have been scarce lately due to end of school/beginning of college for our daughters, lots of family visits and a lot of volunteer work. But adoptions will start again early next week... finally!

I take in any chameleon regardless of condition. For the stable chameleons, I do my best to find them a new home.

That's me! I'm easy to reach by email at [email protected] but have been scarce lately due to end of school/beginning of college for our daughters, lots of family visits and a lot of volunteer work. But adoptions will start again early next week... finally!

I take in any chameleon regardless of condition. For the stable chameleons, I do my best to find them a new home.

Elisa is a saint. I've acted as a third party in handing over a very sick/dying chameleon to Elisa. She brought her back to working health, and she is now living a pretty normal life.

You can revisit the original thread here.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/babysitting-chameleon-looks-sick-20940/
As you can see she was on the verge of death, I had no experience at all with chameleons at the time (not that I have much now), and was desperately researching for an answer.

I was going to just take it to the closest local vet and have it put down.

I came across Chameo, emailed Elisa, and received a call literally minutes later. She has nursed her back to health and you can see her here:
http://www.chameo.org/adoptions.html
She is the Caly-F2.

The dogs in the program are either saved from bad pet shops, puppie mills, etc. or are sometimes surrendered by owners who can no longer take care of them.

This is precisely the care that Elisa offers for chameleons. I think she deserves a lot more credit than she gets, her karma piggy bank must be ridiculously full. I would donate more if I could, seeing first hand the care and attention every chameleon gets, despite its condition.

There are chameleon rescues. One in particular is a vet in Santa Rosa. Found under Chameleon Santuary.com I've found others, but can't recall them exactly. I'm still tripping on the fact that Michael Jackson just died. And with that, I have offered up to save/rescue Jackson neonates because I feel I have it down to a science and welcome the challenge. so there are many of us out there that have great passion for Chameleons, who by the way, are very sensitive and have a higher intelligence level than a lot of other lizard species.

Thanks FaunaBgirl...I just wanted to confirm that it was Noel and I couldn't remember how to spell her last name. I think she did a talk once at one of the reptile shows in Ontario that I was at....a long time ago.

We have a local rabbit shelter than I've been trying to talk into taking in chameleons and other reptiles as well.
Sometimes these rescues are off the map, and you have to do a deep search to find them.

However, I highly recommend Elisa. :)

Back
Top Bottom