Cham ate unknown berry...

PabloTheCham

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey guys. I take my cham outside on some random trees, and I put him on a different plant so he would be visible to me from the inside, I don't want him going on the roof, having a bird eat him, or him simply leaving. When I was watching him he snagged a berry from the plant (didn't even realize there were berries on it), but I have no idea what kind of plant it is, I just want to make sure it wasn't anything toxic. You can't see the berries in the picture, they look like blueberries, but about half the size. Can anyone recognize this plant? Is it toxic?

Attachments

• A1a1a1.JPG
    A1a1a1.JPG
    318.7 KB · Views: 87
its a Lonicera japonica, I just compared the pic to the ones we have on stock and no doubt its a Japanese honeysuckle

I am really surprised no one mentioned this.... Are you going back inside the house and leaving him outside on plants?
Yeah. What you can't see in the picture is that there is a window about a foot from the plant where I was watching him while I was eating... I am not leaving him out of sight outside.

Yeah. What you can't see in the picture is that there is a window about a foot from the plant where I was watching him while I was eating... I am not leaving him out of sight outside.
If it were me I would not do that... If you are present you are a deterrent for large birds and other animals. Without you there he is just great sized prey sitting on a plant ready to be plucked off and carried away.

You would not be able to respond quickly enough to get to him if a bird got to him first.

If it were me I would not do that... If you are present you are a deterrent for large birds and other animals. Without you there he is just great sized prey sitting on a plant ready to be plucked off and carried away.

You would not be able to respond quickly enough to get to him if a bird got to him first.
I thought of that too, but I live in a more urban area, I know it may seem like I have a huge garden with trees, but I only have 4 small trees with about 2ftx20ft of dirt available. I have never seen any birds of prey anywhere near my house.
How do outdoor keepers do it? A relative had a pet bird that she kept outside in a cage, and a falcon ripped through it and left with the bird.

I thought of that too, but I live in a more urban area, I know it may seem like I have a huge garden with trees, but I only have 4 small trees with about 2ftx20ft of dirt available. I have never seen any birds of prey anywhere near my house.
How do outdoor keepers do it? A relative had a pet bird that she kept outside in a cage, and a falcon ripped through it and left with the bird.
When I took Beman out he stayed with me or next to me. Literally within a foot of me. Now he has an outdoor enclosure. I have put chicken wire over aluminum screen. Could a large bird get in if it really wanted to, yes. But once he is using it I will just sit out and enjoy the sun but know that I don't have to constantly watch him.

We do have crows here not much else as far as large birds. I think the crows are more interested in the trash cans people leave open but I am still overly cautious.

I have seen too many crazy things happen to chams on this forum not to be. I come at it better off safe then sorry with Beman.

Yup, my mother had her parakeet outside for some sun in its cage and a cooper's hawk landed on top of the cage even with me standing about 20 feet away. I would not trust leaving a cham unattended in the open as things can happen quickly.

Back
Top Bottom