Can they do this?

PoshPenny

The person I got Valcore from called me (could hear his girlfriend in the background) and told me basically, the Cham was a mutual pet and when he gave it to me they were on a "break", and she is really upset because she bought and paid for all his stuff including him and the Cham was never his to give away in the first place (even though she left it behind).

She sounded super bishy, and hostile, and kept demanding to speak to me, but I informed him I was not going to talk to her with her screaming like a child. I told him to ask for valcor back now would be detrimental to his health, and that he is on his third week of panacur (because he had parasites!) and has a bad toe which is being nursed by me.

Soooooooo, I hung up. Then the trog called my house 4x, I answered on the fourth call, and she said she was going to sue me if I didn't return a pet that was rightfully hers. (Even though she had no proper husbandry, and the poor guy was rail thin. Plus had a mild case of mouth rot that is requiring baytril. She obviously sucked as a Cham owner)

Can she do this? Do I call her bluff?

I call it a bluff I am a criminal justice major with a batchalors degree let me tell you she has no right and the transaction has already taken place you have nothing to worry about! Keep taking care of that little guy hope all is well !

I call it a bluff I am a criminal justice major with a batchalors degree let me tell you she has no right and the transaction has already taken place you have nothing to worry about! Keep taking care of that little guy hope all is well !

I'm finishing up my degree and going to law school, and I know a lot about contractual agreements...I wouldn't give it back. The chameleon is rightfully yours. You keep it, and continue taking good care of it. She has no legal baring to sue you.

The person I got Valcore from called me (could hear his girlfriend in the background) and told me basically, the Cham was a mutual pet and when he gave it to me they were on a "break", and she is really upset because she bought and paid for all his stuff including him and the Cham was never his to give away in the first place (even though she left it behind).

She sounded super bishy, and hostile, and kept demanding to speak to me, but I informed him I was not going to talk to her with her screaming like a child. I told him to ask for valcor back now would be detrimental to his health, and that he is on his third week of panacur (because he had parasites!) and has a bad toe which is being nursed by me.

Soooooooo, I hung up. Then the trog called my house 4x, I answered on the fourth call, and she said she was going to sue me if I didn't return a pet that was rightfully hers. (Even though she had no proper husbandry, and the poor guy was rail thin. Plus had a mild case of mouth rot that is requiring baytril. She obviously sucked as a Cham owner)

Can she do this? Do I call her bluff?

You may inform her that the transaction already took place and that you have been in possession of an animal freely given to you and that what she is attempting to do is to extort and threaten you without legal grounds. State your intention to file harassment complaints.

To be extra safe, call your local police and inform them of the situation (the law is on your side) and ask them to call her for you.

I'm finishing up my degree and going to law school, and I know a lot about contractual agreements...I wouldn't give it back. The chameleon is rightfully yours. You keep it, and continue taking good care of it. She has no legal baring to sue you.

I agree, ignore her and she will go away :p

She cant "sue" you, and any attorney would laugh her out of the office :rolleyes: she is just trying to intimadate you.
I'm sure she will cool off in a day or so after sleeping on it, and will likely
forget all about it when she comes to her senses.

Do these people know where you live, are they local?

People like this sometimes don't cool off with time... Don't be surprised if she continues to harass you for awhile.

If you feel it's necessary, you can file a report with the police. It might be a bit premature at this point, but if she knows where you live or continues to call, I would recommend it.

Definitely start a log of everytime they contact you, whether or not you answered, and what was discussed. Did you keep your emails or text messages from the original exchange? You will also want to keep receipts for all the supplies and vet bills. If they do try to take you to small claims court or some such silliness, those costs are a "loss" that you can sue/countersue the seller for if the transaction was found to be illegal.

Just in case... Fingers crossed that they will just go away.

No, but I gave him my card :(--he knows my studio name and it's run out of my house, so if she wanted she could easily track me down I think.

The Cham is on it's 6th day of baytril and feels like poo. He has been staying out of his basking area lately and is pretty sluggish. Honestly, he would of died with them. There is a 50% chance he might not survive the treatment he is getting now. But I knew all of this going into it. Some might say I'm stupid for taking in animals that arnt 100% healthy but I'd rather him be with me and continue to get treated by a vet than die in the sad, plant less enclosure they had him in. Plus they can pay me back the 300+ dollars iv spent in meds, labs, and office visits alone.

I hate being yelled at. :(

Yeah, people like this suck. Just document everything and continue on as normal. He's definitely in better hands with you. Unfortunately, that will likely not matter in a small claims situation, so you will need all the backup data that you were reasonable in believing that he had the authority to give the animal away.

Like lathis said, document anything and everything.
I think she's trying to scare you, it's probably worked for her in the past. People may of backed down to her. Don't do it, stand your ground.
Kath.

I've known a lot of people like this, they're usually a lot of noisy hot air. If they really had any intention of pursuing legal grounds she would have done so already. I know that if I thought one of my pets had been given away unjustly without my permission I would call the new owner first, and if that failed I would immediately go to court and fight it. The fact that she hasn't yet tells me that either she's not completely serious or she can't afford it, and therefore isn't going to be a problem.

Keep on keeping on and wait it out! He's definitely better with you and vet records will show that.

LOL i can see small claims court now:

craigslist ad
vet bill
the actual chameleon

She doesnt even have bill-of-sale of when she bought it.

The original owner would have to sue the boyfriend, right? He's the one who allegedly gave away her property. Can she even sue PP who took the animal in good faith? I'm not sure she can. She can try, of course, but I don't think PP has anything to worry about on her end.

No, but I gave him my card :(--he knows my studio name and it's run out of my house, so if she wanted she could easily track me down I think.

The Cham is on it's 6th day of baytril and feels like poo. He has been staying out of his basking area lately and is pretty sluggish. Honestly, he would of died with them. There is a 50% chance he might not survive the treatment he is getting now. But I knew all of this going into it. Some might say I'm stupid for taking in animals that arnt 100% healthy but I'd rather him be with me and continue to get treated by a vet than die in the sad, plant less enclosure they had him in. Plus they can pay me back the 300+ dollars iv spent in meds, labs, and office visits alone.

I hate being yelled at. :(

keep the cham , he needs you - not her - as the others have said- she has no right to get him back - and as for the not 100% healthy- HA - Olive's bills added up = well, I am 1/2 way to a parson - lol but she is worth it to me :) and all but one of my chams is rescue or special needs - and I love each one :D

The chameleon was in possession of the boyfriend. For her to try and file a "writ of replevin", which is how you petition the court to return your property when joint or solely owned property was unlawfully removed from a former joint dwelling, she would have to have a mitigating circumstance on why she left the cham with him in the first place. Paying for the animal is not enough- it could have been a gift for the boyfriend, in which case it would be his to give away. Block her number on your phone, if that does not work call the police and file a harassment claim- the law is on your side. I really loathe people like this- he is in much better hands with you! :)

I agree with everyone who says file a harassment claim if she continues to bother you. It will look better for you in the end. Definitely keep track of all bills and receipts. There is nothing she can do. She is not going to pay a lawyer to fight it, and she won't be able to do much in small claims court with all of the money you have had to put into it. If she loves the animal that much, she would've taken better care of it to begin with and it wouldn't be in the state that it is currently in. Don't sweat it though. You have nothing to worry about.

The chameleon was in possession of the boyfriend. For her to try and file a "writ of replevin", which is how you petition the court to return your property when joint or solely owned property was unlawfully removed from a former joint dwelling, she would have to have a mitigating circumstance on why she left the cham with him in the first place. Paying for the animal is not enough- it could have been a gift for the boyfriend, in which case it would be his to give away. Block her number on your phone, if that does not work call the police and file a harassment claim- the law is on your side. I really loathe people like this- he is in much better hands with you! :)

Happy birthday to you btw! I just saw your name down at the bottome of the page:D

This is not about her wanting the animal, it is about her exerting herself over the spineless boy in question.

She just wants to show him that he can't control her in any way, that is why she made him call you.

Anyhow, she will go away.

I got a print out from my vet. He is hanging on pretty good so far with the baytril, we did a lab on him and he had something wrong with his liver. I can't remember what the vet said, but it's from his previous diet which was meal worms, and supers. But, his liver don't look so good, so I'm feeding horns, crickets (banded for less chitlin) and veggies. Iv gone into this very level headed, but god knows he has a lot wrong with him that would of resulted in suffering and death, this I know I can prove. He was 200 grams hs last visit, which is underweight. Now with the panacur and baytril he is feeling like poo, but I think at his next visit he should still of put on some weight. He also had no UVB bulb I could see. I was told by the previous owner he couldn't afford one, or another enclosure or food anymore. But I suppose it will be my word against his.

She hasn't called me again today, but iv been running errands. So iv not been home to check my caller ID.

I feel like one of those judge Judy cases where the lady finds the half dead dog and then saves it and magically the owner appears wanting the animal back and offering no compensation to the Good Samaritan. I would of happily spoke with her if she didn't sound crazy. But he sounded pretty submissive to her verbal abuse and that's her " boyfriend" can't imagine how she would talk to stranger--definitely not willing to find out either lol.

The chameleon was in his possession and he gave it to you. Done deal. Whatever bull has gone on at their end is none of your concern. If she really wants it resolved, she can get the money back from the boyfriend but she has no right to the animal. Shouldn't have left it behind.

I agree if they contact you any further, call the police and file a report. Keep everything documented.

Bad luck being in the middle of a petty breakup.

Back
Top Bottom