Butterworms, Phoenix worms, Questions!

Moosma

Where do you get the butterworms, and how do I feed vegetables (and which) to my chameleon.
I've had Mozart for a little over a year; he's healthy for the most part (having a hemipene problem). Just learned about butterworms, and their calcium content. Also saw phoenix worms online, anyone use them? Mozart will not eat crickets so I feed worms only and am looking for variety for him.
I can't feed roaches; I can hardly type the word.
Anyone have suggestions for me? Thank you.

i get butters and pheonixs from mulberry farm neither one of my chams cares much for the butters but they both eat the others fine along with silks and horns and just about anyother bug i give them just them damm butters lol

They love dubias. I would highly recommend them. They aren't as gross as you might think, you just have to get over your preconceived notions of cockroaches.

I actually raise my own phoenix worms in my backyard. They sell a product online (brain fart and can't think of it at the moment), and it's a bucket on a stand with a collection cup coming off the side of it. Inside are 2 "sliding boards", except the worms crawl up them and at the top there's a hole dropping them into the collection cup. Just throw your food scraps in the bucket, and after a couple of weeks the soldier flies will fly in there, lay their eggs and you'll have your very own colony.

You may have to start over each spring - depending on where you are in OR, but I get a lot of phoenix worms that way (actually way more than I need, but at this point it's paid for itself). I think the contraption was about $180 and the compost that they worms leave behind after eating your scraps is awesome for your garden. Just don't put any meat scraps in or you'll have turkey buzzards attacking the bucket and making a royal mess. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

Michelle

Are there any feeder roaches that bite? I know of a kind of roach from South America that eats flesh.

There are a few carnivorous species of roaches like Orange Deathheads that may eat meat, but as far as bite, that might be far fetched. A lot of the species do spit at you though, like Deathheads...lil bastards.

-Dave
SPF

Nope. :) I've never had anything bite me and I've kept a very large number of roach species! My favorite insects besides lepidoptera.

Dubias

I have no problem bringing them into my home, but Smeegz wont them. I bought 25 of them from Mulberry and placed a few in his feeder cup. Nothing. I even tried to not feed hom anything else for a few days to see. Anytips ? I think he just didnt like the looks of them .

If I buy spikes and feed them fruit and veggies can I take them out of bucket before they get to the pupa stage then use them as feeders?

Back
Top Bottom