Burn

Rosco

I have an 8 month panther male that absolutely loves to sit on his cage door when I open it. I have been letting him do this for a few months now. Today I left him in his room chilling on the cage door and I went into my room to do a few things. After 20 minutes I went back into his room and saw his tail sticking out from behind his light/heat source. I ran over and was parrallel to the fixture and I scooped him up before he climbed on it. Once I had him I noticed a black mark on his face, that is on a little bit of his lips and goes down towards the throat (only on one side of his face and has an overall size that is a bit smaller than a dime) I suppose he let his face touch the side of the fixture for some time to cause the skin to blacken. It's not cracked at all and no sign of blood. I put on an antibiotic cream that sterilizes and is meant for minor burns. I will put it on 3 times a day. Do chameleons skin turn black in the equivalency to us getting burned and our skin turning red? Any tips would be nice. I feel awful, I feel as if I stood by watching this happen. I just got silkworms and butterworms and he was loving all the food today and even spent time out in the sun. Ohh and he didn't get burnt on his eye, and when he was drinking he didn't show any signs of pain or distress.

Yes they can turn black when they get burned. Just put some neosporin on it, and keep an eye out for infection.
Can you post a pic?
ALso, they can have black parts due to bruising, just like us. Just a thought.

I'm on my phone, I won't be able to post a pic until tonight. Im ruling out that it's a bruise based on the time I was gone, his location and the physical state of the wound. The skin where it is black is smooth and doesn't have the bumps that the skin normally has associated with a panther. Does a black burn automatically mean it is severe, or is it hopefully minor and that the dark pigmentation is just the normal process the skin undergoes.

Krunch got burned, it took 3 sheds but all discoloration is gone, and he is a Nosy Be. Lime green at that! !. He gets hot/ burns much easier/faster than the others. I wonder if its his coloring?
Silvadene cream works really well, you can get it from a Vet for about 10.00
My Vet didn't even require a visit since I told him it was for a minor burn

I'm gonna call up a local vet and see if i can just pick up silvadene. Hopefully they will allow that and not try to force me into an exam

Back
Top Bottom