Bruce's colors still..

twatts704

Hello everyone. It has been some time since I posted on the forums. I have been away dealing with family health issues but have still been keeping up with our little chams, along with the rest of our zoo. I posted a thread a few months ago and can't find it now but it was discussing my ambanja males colors and how they have become very dull. This is a son to Gargamel and I have Bruce's brother too from the same clutch that I will post too to show you the difference.

I have taken him to the vet several times now and he insist that he is very healthy and nothing is wrong with him. So please before you scold me for his colors, know that I have had him checked several times and there is nothing wrong with him. He has a great appetite and drinks like a camel.

The only thing I can think of is that since I took him from Jon Rich, I have not been using any color supplements like he was. I still gut load and dust just don't use color sups. I will be giving Bruce these sups after the new year to experiment to see if that is why his colors faded but if anyone else has any thoughts on what this could be please let me know.

Also there is no high traffic in his room and nothing has changed about it. He randomly one day just started looking dull and has never colored up since. I will also note that he does brighten up to a light green/blue with a bit of yellow around his mouth and white down his sides when he is getting out of his cage and being handled. Otherwise he looks like this picture.

Bruce
agy9y2um.jpg
5a9ene2a.jpg
e4ujy8e2.jpg

Herbert, his brother (clutch mate)
u4umebyt.jpg
9a9a9u5a.jpg

I have missed you, I wondered where you were. I hope all is well.

Now about Bruce, I have had a few panthers that were not the most colorful, but never one with colors like Bruce . Have you tried showing him a female to see how he acts? At least you would know that he can color up if he wants to. I have never seen, or heard of a Cham doing this. Sorry I am no help.

Last edited:
question

whats the color supplements you are talking about ?
Im a new cham owner and have no idea.
Thanks hope you find out whats going on with Bruce he still looks awesome!

I have missed you, I wondered where you were. I hope all is well.

Now about Bruce, I have has a few panthers that were not the most colorful, but never one with colors like Bruce . Have you tried showing him a female to see how he acts? At least you would know that he can color up if he wants to. I have never seen, or heard of a Cham doing this.

I have tried my female Betty with him and he does exactly what the first picture shows. Just puffs out but sometimes will start to show a very very faint hint of red in him too.

As for the supplements, he was on Dino Fuel and one other thing with his previous owner. Maybe Jon Rich will chime in on my thread soon and let you know exactly.

But even color supplements should not cause the absence of color once they are discontinued. I also use Dinofuel and Superpig occassionally and I may go weeks without using either supplement and nothing ever happens with their color, it neither intensifies nor dissapears. They aren't magic, they really only work because they are healthy additives that may contain carotenoids that by adding to a healthy diet keep an animal healthy and so keeps colors at their full potential, but they won't add colors where there aren't any and they won't make them go away.

There has to be something else happening with Bruce that is causing this lack of color. In these vet checks, has he gotten blood-work done?

Also, have you brought him outside at all? Does his color improve?

That is strange like olympia said they are nmot magic this is a very strange situation I would like know what's going on with him I can't think of anything either blood work would be a good start forsure.

They have done both fecal and blood 3 different times and everything checks out. Like I said, when he is taken out and gets handeled and gets sunlight he just goes back to a very light green/blue with white stripe down the side and yellow in the mouth. I have 3 chams, all of which are being taken care of the exact same way. With an exception of my female of course. And Bruce's brother is not having these problems at all.

The only other thing I can possibly think it may be is that I have not seen Bruce shed in quite some time. Betty and Herbert both have and I mean I don't think I have seen Bruce shed in probably close to 4 months. Could this be the cause of it?

Back
Top Bottom