Brown stuff in corner of mouth

Alex21

image.jpg
What's that crap in he corner of his mouth? Tried getting it wit a Qtip but it's hard

There is a thing called a temporal gland infection in Jackson's chameleons. It is in located in the corner of their mouth. I am not 100% positive but that is what it appears to be. If it is so determined, you will have to get this guy to a vet and he will have to be given the proper meds to help clear it up.

Anyone else with a suggestion? I've read that they get wax build up in the corner too. I'm heisetent about taking him to a vet since my local on already screwed me.

Thanks

I don't agree that this is necessarily an infection. This is commonly seen in Meller's chameleons also. It appears to be the natural shedding of a waxy substance produced by the gland. In the wild they naturally rub it on surfaces, like a calling card. Your cham is shedding a couple thin "disks" of the stuff, similar to ear wax. Don't pull it out. If it is a normal shedding it may stay there for weeks, even months. And then it may simply disappear one day because your cham rubbed it off onto a branch or something. It is possible that, when in captivity, the chams don't rub them off as readily as they do in the wild. In the wild the scent or the presence of other members of their species climbing the same branches, may stimulate the rubbing reflex. Without that stimulation-to-rub the secretion may just hang in the gland for a period of time.

I would recommend you observe for swelling or if your cham appears bothered by it. But I do agree with Miss Lily. Check out the thread she linked to in her comment.

Here is a pic of one my Meller's shed years ago. And, yes, the exposed edges do harden, but the portions still within the gland are soft like earwax.

glandsecretion.jpg

Last edited:
It looks normal to me. That little wedge of discharge is common with Jackson's. You don't need to remove it. If there is no swelling it's much less likely to be infection.

Yes, a flat scale type thing is not an infection, its the product of the gland. Keep an eye on it if he doesn't seem to be able to get rid of it, or the area starts to swell or look inflamed.

Wow, thanks for all the info!! Yea it's not swollen and it doesn't seem to bother him. I'll keep an eye on him and keep y'all up to date. Thanks again, this forum is awesome!:D

Back
Top Bottom