BREV OWNERS..lets see some pix!

davider

Avid Member
for some reason i have been growing fond of these brev chams
if anyone would like to show theirs off and their enclosures lets see it!

R. brevicaudatus

59.jpg
43.jpg

44.jpg
52.jpg

54.jpg
38.jpg

53.jpg
51.jpg

R. temporalis
61.jpg
60.jpg

wow, those things are small! It would be kind of neat to have a big fish tank with a couple running around. What is the ratio? How many can you have together in what space?

I haven't been on in a while...but here are my guys. I can't seem to focus w/my digital cam very well.... it doesn't have macro. Dot isn't usually that white....I took the pic b/c he looked funky.

I keep hoping Yolanda is gravid, but I don't think she's fat enough. Maybe I should take Dot out of her tank, and put Stripe in? Give the other guy a chance?

Also, Will, I love the expression on the face of the brev in your last picture!

Attachments

• Yolanda.JPG
    Yolanda.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Dot eating 3.jpg
    Dot eating 3.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Stripe 3.jpg
    Stripe 3.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Acutally the last two photos are of R. temporalis, not brevs. Temps have been the ambsolute fiestiest pygmies I have seen. They have displayed to me, and I suppose even "charged" me if you can call it that...

Can someone help me sex these ?

Well, Here are our 5 little guys. 3 bearded chams, and also 2 temporalis (not brevs). One of the beardeds is shedding, one is an orange phase (I was told- but I must confess to not knowing what that means).

If someone could please help me with sexing these 5 guys that would be great. I was trying to do it by the thickness of the neck, tapering of the body, and length of the tail, but I've been told those clues are not always accurate. Thank you for your help.

DSCF4817.JPG

DSCF4826b.jpg

DSCF4812.JPG

DSCF4814.JPG

DSCF4820.JPG

Last edited:
can i see your setup?

Here are the photos I took when we first set it up. It has changed a little since then. It is a 55 gal tank, there are 5 pygmy chams in there, 3 beared and 2 temporalis. They share the space quite amicably, even sharing the same tree at times. I have found that the beardeds are generally more visible than the temporalis, who seem to be a bit more timid. They all eat crickets (dusted alternately with Miner-all (I) and Reptivite) and fruit flies. I give them a nice direct misting spray in the morning so they can wash out their eyes and drink. (I've watched them licking the leaves and stems with their tiny black tongues. Very cute.) Then the tank gets another misting late in the day. I keep the humidity at about 70, although of course it spikes a bit when I mist. But it does stay at a good consistent 70, and the temp at a good consistent 75 throughout the day once it warms up (with lower temps at night).

DSCF4667.JPG

DSCF4663.JPG

sweet setup, is that pvc on the bottom I think I've only seen hydroton on the bottom

Yes, it is PVC on the very bottom. We saw it done this way on a site online. Its one drawback is that it's not as natural looking as the hydroton. But it serves the same purpose of creating airspace for evaporation. Besides, we had a bunch of it onhand :), because one year my husband (who is a general contractor) built a huge greenhouse of PVC pipe and plastic. The next day it blew down in a windstorm, never to rise again :(. Fortunately, the buildings he erects are more stable :rolleyes:.

Awesome.......

Awesome pictures everyone! I'm in love with your natural cage set ups as well as the chams themselves. Beautiful and very well done. I'm drooling and sighing at the same time. Heavy sigh....drool, drool....heavy sigh :)

What do you think of my setup?

PICT7396.JPG

I have been trying to create a different type of enclosure that is more artistic than representative of a native enviroment. I have spent a lot of time trying to meet the requirements of the pygmies yet still have an atractive encosure. I have a vase that is 24" tall and 4"x4". I placed a natural sponge at the bottom to maintain humidity and to absorb water. I have a fake vine that crawls up the glass in the helix form. Fake plants fill the majority of the interior and a little pumpkin shell full of water at the top acts as a dripper. I know this enclosure seems small but I figured the chameleons would appreciate the vertical expanse. I have had two females in it for about 2 1/2 months and they are healthy and happy.

Well- since you asked- the display is so counterintuitive that, on a very deep level, I find it disturbing. But then, so much of art these days is :eek:.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom