breeding clutchmates

Duma

sorry for my ignorance with this question but I was thinking - coming from the horse world where breeding mother to son and father to daughter was not frowned upon, I cant imagine it is like that with other animals. but this had me thinking - if female and male have clutch A and then a year later the same male and female have clutch B, would it be acceptable to breed one from clutch A with one from clutch B even though they still have the same parents?

I come from a time that interbreeding and breeding from different locations otherwise call hybrids are considered taboo... case in point Veiled and Panther please help keep bloodlines pure..

@savage13 I wasn't talking about cross breeding, but I definitely understand. just wasn't sure if this was done or not. thanks!

sorry you misunderstood me I mint interbreeding like the same clutch mate or parents with the same siblings Veiled.. different locations in Madagascar like female Panther from Nosy Be to a male from Ambanja that hybrid..

At one point or another (reptile trade industry) there have been "selective breeding" taking place to keep/enhance the traits (i.e color/patterns) of the reptile (not talking about hybrid).

So yes, there have been interbreeding of panthers, veils, etc chameleons. Naturally the gene pool gets smaller and problems do come up (after so many generations) so an occasional outside addition (introduction if an unrelated animal of same species) is key to keep targeted/ideal trait. This takes time and good record keeping.

As hobbyists, it's not worth going down this line as it's time and resource ($$$$) consuming with no return on investment. Leave that to the Pros that do it for a living and we simply just enjoy the beauty of the creatures that has been selectively breed for us

Or obtain another another of the same trait with unrelated bloodline and start your breeding project. I totally understand the urge that every hobbyists would have in wanting to breed these beautiful creatures, just do it with responsibly, and think it thru.....what are you going to do with all the babies Don't get me wrong, that's a great problem to have since you have been successful in breeding and incubating a clutch.

I wouldn't do it personally but it has been done with many reptiles in line breeding attempts to bring out certain traits. Your greatly increasing the chances for any negative genetic outcomes as well though.

@Redlegtu thanks for the info! I haven't bred any reptiles so far and I'm not really sure if I want to. I was just wondering if this was done out there and it's something I should know is done in case I do ever decide to breed. If that makes sense?

Since not a lot has been said here yet I will share with the majority of older breeders think and have told me. Mixing Panther Ambanja with a Panther Tamatave for one example is a good way to ruin a clutch because something like 75% of the time the colors come out all muddy in the males and the females look relatively normal but their offspring tend to be muddy too. There is that unique rare chance that you get a new spectacular looking cross, or what they call a preferred blend or preferred cross, but basically its a no no because it usually ruins the offspring and no one really wants them, which is sad. If you can afford that go ahead but its a gamble. Take a look at some of the Chams from Screameleons and Kammerflage Chameleons. If you like what you see you should know some of those are indeed preferred blends. If you wanna risk it you now know the potential for success but know the issues with failure.

Lastly Breeding family, like Dad to daughter or brother and sister, etc. is mostly not too big a deal according to two breeders I know but another with a more rare breed (Quadricornis) has said that's like a cardinal sin basically because there are so few in the US and no guarantee of more in the future.. blah blah blah. So If you do that once with Veiled's or Jacksons probably no biggie. Idk about panthers, I'm not going too.. Anyone want a 1 yr old female Nosy Be?

Back
Top Bottom