Boiling leaves

qdude46

I know I can bake branches to put in terrariums but I want to put dead leaves in my Pygmy enclosure before I get him and if I put the leaves in boiling water and then dry them will that get rid of all the parasites and other bugs found on them

After you boil the leaves it is also recommend that you "bake" them In the oven...around 350 for 20 minutes or so...this method of treating (boil+bake) leaf litter has been used by dart frog enthusiasts for years!!!

Pre-baked/boiled leaves can often be purchased on dart frog forums and vendor sites. Some of them have a large variety of leaves so you can get several safe varieties that will look nice and also allow any clean up crews to thrive well on them. Plus they tend to use types of leaves that take longer to decay so they last much longer than many types of leaves. I would also keep in mind that natural leaves can host beneficial bacteria that can help the soil in the enclosure. Beneficial bacteria as well as drainage are needed or the cage can turn really smelly and septic smelling.

Thank you when I baked 2 branches put hot water on them and then put them in the oven for 150-200 forb20 minutes is that enough

Back
Top Bottom