Bleaching a misting system?

i wonder how well these inline heaters work. With my setup I have the pump and heater come on together and flow water through the heater for a couple of minutes before the valves close and water sprays out of the misting jet...
Howdy,

I'm not totally happy with they way the Hydor inline heater setup works but it is ok.

Notes:

#1. I actually also use a cheap 25W submersible heater in my tank to keep the water around 75F (just as it would be on a nice summer day anyway) on those cool 60F winter nights. Otherwise the temp rise needed from the inline Hydor might be pushing it. (Probably not really needed...)

#2. The 300W Hydor inline heater seems to be able to raise the water temp by around something like 30F-40F at our low flow rates. I let the Hydor run for 5 minutes before any valves open letting any water move.

#3. I have a secondary sprinkler timer that lets the lines flush with warmed water before it closes and the misting pressure builds.

#4. Heat is lost as the water makes its way to the nozzles.

#5. As a leftover from other experiments, I still use homemade inline heaters, one for each nozzle. These would be perfect if they could raise the temp 30-40F on their own. They probably are able to raise the temp around 20F (maybe). They are made of about 3 feet of copper tubing wrapped with insulated nichrome wire powered by old laptop PC power bricks. Those bricks are probably good for ~100W max.

Loooong story short, we chameleon keepers could benefit from a commercially available inline heater that can be easily attached very close to each nozzle to eliminate all of the line flushing and tank heating etc.

Back
Top Bottom