bioshield

bugboy

Established Member
does anybody use this? its a cleaning product that comes from pro-products and from what i heard it works wonders. i was at the last white plains show and purchased a pro mist system from the guy at the pro-products booth and i asked him about this. basically you spray the formula down on the bottom of the cage or whatever it is you want clean, let it dry, and it forms a barrier against dangerous microbes for at least 3 months. that means when the chameleon goes to the bathroom on the cage bottom, you pick up the poop and the barrier destroys any microbes left over. its also supposed to work underwater (he had a customer who used this for the inside of fish tanks and never cleaned algae because it wouldnt grow) but it has to dry out completely. this could be helpful for those with misting systems or drippers that need to be wiped down on the inside due to bacterial growth. it seems the possibilities are almost endless with this stuff and i wanted to know if anyone had good luck with it before i go out and buy it for myself. all comments are appreciated and thanks.

I am not familiar with the product or what properties it has to make it work. Sounds similar to microban (which does work if you know what you're getting and don't over estimate what it can do).

I'd be a bit skeptical. In general most micro organisms are not going to grow well on nonporous surfaces (such as cage bottoms) anyway. The primary nutrients for growth would be organic debris that settles on the bottom of cages such as cham crap, leaves, soil, dust, misc. cricket parts, etc. Add moisture to this debris and that is the recipe for things to start growing. In these situations it probably would not make much of a difference what the actual surface was coated with.

It might have some benefit. If you decide to use it find out what the active ingredient is (request a MSDS sheet) and don't get lulled into thinking it provides a free pass from routine cleaning.

HTML:
http://www.pro-products.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=59

here is the link to the product.

RPCV, all of the organic debris you mentioned has the capability of ending up on the cage bottom during the day when i am usually not home. these things get picked up as soon as i notice them, but how do i know theres NOTHING left over afterwards that i just cant see. im trying to keep things as clean as possible, so if this stuff works, it'll just be a way of keeping the cage cleaner than before. this is NOT TO REPLACE CLEANING THE CAGE; simply to help keep it clean-ER.
also ive never heard of microban (about to do a search for it), have you used it personally and were there any noticeable effects?

still would like to hear from first-hand experience with bioshield, any input appreciated.

Reviewing a material safety data sheet (MSDS) would be useful. The MSDS would contain the chemicals in the product and the hazards associated with those chemicals. I did not find one on their website but they should provide it to you upon request.

The reason for this is the only significant drawback I can see would be introducing a chemical that may have more hazard potential then the microbes you are trying to get rid of. There have been quite a few snake oil salesman trying to capitilize on fear of viruses, bacteria, mold etc. I'm not saying this is the case with this product but it would not hurt to make sure. If it is a reputable company then they should provide the MSDS sheet no questions asked. If they balk at this request it would send up red flags.

Back
Top Bottom