Best way to arrange plants

Salty

I went to Home Depot today and picked up 2 hanging spider plants and 2 palm tree type looking things that were on the safe plant list. I was told to rinse the plant in the shower for 15 minutes and then replant it in better soil. Will Miricle Grow Organic Potting Soil be a good soil to use? Someone please tell me where to go to get the best vines... And how can I arange my plants so that the chams little recycled crickets will not fall into the soil.....
Also, any other advice that a noob needs to know about plants. Thanks guys.

I went to Home Depot today and picked up 2 hanging spider plants and 2 palm tree type looking things that were on the safe plant list. I was told to rinse the plant in the shower for 15 minutes and then replant it in better soil. Will Miricle Grow Organic Potting Soil be a good soil to use? Someone please tell me where to go to get the best vines... And how can I arange my plants so that the chams little recycled crickets will not fall into the soil.....
Also, any other advice that a noob needs to know about plants. Thanks guys.

I wouldnt use miracle grow, as the point of using the organic soil is to eliminate any chemicals entering the equation.

If it is just plain organic soil with nothing added, thats fine.

I arrange my plants in a way that provides a denser, cooler, wetter, more humid side, and a more sparse(but still navigatable) drier, more "open" side.
I put my misting nozzles to where they keep the dense side wet, and I put my basking bulb on the dry side.
You can cover the soil with about anything, rocks, sea-shells, moss, grass.
JMO/thoughts;)

I love spider plants....

Pin the spiders to the sides with twine or twist ties (they'll grab it with a root eventually). That will let you push the vines up to the top of the cage. That's what I do with my pothos.

You can buy small rocks to cover the soil...just make sure they are big enough to not be eaten by your chameleon.

I think the Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil is good. As you are going to block it off so your chameleon can't eat it, it's not really that pressing an issue.

Got a good brand name for the organic soil? Micicle grow is the only brand I can find. It does say organic though.

P.S. Sorry about the double post.

You might want to edit that other post to point people here.

Just a thought.

I'm clueless when it comes to soil...if it says "organic" I credit it with being organic.... I suspect that makes me a loser.

There is a cheap organic soil I got from lowes it was just under $2 and it's growing my plants like crazy! Now show me your aquarium lol! Ps I will haunt you about this lol
https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-new-first-chams-home-71894/
Here's my thread on my cage so you can see how I've done it!

Can't get good pics of my tank. It looks so awesome in person and so bad on film or with pics. It drives me nuts. I just quit trying to get a good pic of it. ;(

You might want to edit that other post to point people here.

Just a thought.

I'm clueless when it comes to soil...if it says "organic" I credit it with being organic.... I suspect that makes me a loser.

that's what I thought about the soil too... if it said organic it is good... just the miricle grow manufacturer made me worry...

On the topic of "plant arranging" I take it quite seriously:rolleyes:
Here is my last cage build(sry its on photobucket:p).
Dont know if youll find it helpful or not.
There backwards, so you have to start on the last page, last photo first:rolleyes:
The pics with my hand/arm are "empty" spaces that I dont like, that I proceed to "address" in the following photos.
Its "piece by piece" so its a bit long ;/
http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt263/davidfishman/Cage%20Build/#!cpZZ3QQtppZZ24

wholy plants batman. that's a lot of gluecose!!

My photos?

Its for my jackson,(should have mentioned that) so its pretty dense.:eek:(she likes it)
Every little thing in that build is important.
The right side doesnt get wet at all, the left side stays damp for the most part.

I have never really kept another chameleon in a cage for any length of time, but I would do the same thing with my panther if I was to cage it, just more spread out/less packed.

Last edited:
ive been using the miricle grow with no problem thats all i could find aswell thing is my cham aint playing in the dirt idk ive read other ppls do soometimes though i tink thats about nutriton being off.

but i didnnt know spider plants were safe i love the way they look. gotta get one soon.
to be honest since i made the bamboo structure/perch thing my boy only uses vines to get out the cage

Back
Top Bottom