Best Type of Screen?

BHillendahl

I'm looking at getting a parsons cham, and I'd like to build a considerably larger enclosure than what I have now. What would be the best screen material to use for this application? I know it has to be aluminum, and I know it has to be durable, but I don't know if there is a "best" type or brand. Any help would be much appreciated.

You might want to consider vinyl coated wire mesh, probably 1/2 x 1/2 for a Parsons. Check out Action Jackson's giant cage, it's awesome.

well i choose not to free range my feeders so i choose to go with this heavy duty pet screen from lowes, it's not metal at all has a really nice look to it

Yea, like ph34r said, 1/2x1/2 would be cool if I didn't have to worry about crickets escaping. I was hoping to find something like the aluminum screen used on the LLL Reptile screen cages. I've used the 2'x2'x4' screen cages for all of my chams. They just don't make em big enough for a Parsons to have enough space. I've seen Parsons and Usambara Giant Three-Horns in smaller cages, but it seems unfair to the animal. I'm pretty good with carpentry, so I was contemplating building a nice large enclosure in the living room, possibly with a divider, kind of like the "Majestic" Cages By Design models. The materials would be about 1/5 the cost or less of buying an enclosure from them. I'll make sure to check out Action Jacksons cage.

the depot here in ontario sells a really awesome looking black aluminum screen the stuff looks amazing i was gonne set it but i settles on the pet screen instead

The problem with using window type screen with larger Chameleons is their toenails can get stuck in the screen and pulled out or broke off. Many people use terrarium type setups for Parsons. Hard sided, glass fronted cages with screen tops. This really helps with humidity.

I've kept only veileds so far, and from what I understand, they come from a drier climate. Madagascar averages something like 78% humidity, and Yemen averages in the high 50's. If I can keep him or her healthy in a solid enclosure with a screen top, that would be great. It would make for better viewing too. Should I invest in a small low-power fan for air movement? Btw your outdoor set up is bad ass AJ.

Back
Top Bottom