Best cage setup for hatchlings?

HUBSonDUBS

Established Member
I was originally thinking of a 10 gallon glass aquarium with two small potted plants and some vines. this would house 10-15 hatchlings. Does this sound okay? Also will a small strip reptisun 5.0 and a 40 watt me enough for lighting?

I use tupperware tubs for mine, and I don't use a top for easier access to water and feed. I use a 25 w bulb for basking on newly hatched F. pardalis, it depends on how close the light will be to them. I always use live plants for mine, they seem more comfortable on them. I wouldn't keep 15 together in one enclosure. I have 16 that hatched a week ago and I have them seperated into 4 groups of 4 to keep the competition for food down. Once they start to grow, some will grow faster than others and you group them by size at that point. I can post a pic of my setups later today when I get home.

The ones that I am currently using are actually close the size of a 10 gallon aquarium just shaped a little different. They are a bit deeper and wider so it is easier to keep potted plants in them. One reason why I don't use 10 gallon tanks is that I prefer to not use a top and the little chams can climb the silicone in the corners and escape. The tub has slick sides and corners and I have had no escapees to this day. I am going for easy to clean, easy access to feed constantly and water constantly, safe for the baby chams, and escape proof. I have tried many different methods of raising baby chams over the past several years and this is the one that I came up with using what I liked and disliked about the ones that I had tried.

Here is how I raise my babies-there are good pics of the tubs and lighting.

Julirs, you use a similar method that i use. Where did you come up with the idea to do this? I used larger tubs in the past but this seems to be the perfect size.

Ive read people are using 2.0 bulbs any suggestion on that.

I use 5.0s on mine.

Here are a couple of pics of the way that I set mine up:
DSCN7121.jpg

DSCN7124.jpg

DSCN7126.jpg

Julirs, you use a similar method that i use. Where did you come up with the idea to do this? I used larger tubs in the past but this seems to be the perfect size.

I use 5.0s on mine.

I thought everyone raised babies that way! :p

For Panthers I do use the same size you have in your pics, but for much larger baby Veileds I go with the larger ones.

Back
Top Bottom