Best age to tame chameleon.

Secondly, NEVER take youtube videos as examples of how to keep animals (especially reptiles) cause you can find anything on there and what you see it's very often the wrong thing to do when dealing with reptiles!!!

P.s in the video you linked the cham freezes as the person approach and that's a fear reaction, then when he realizes he has been spotted he just heads for the closes thing up he could find, which is something chams do even if the closest thing they find is your finger. they will climb on your finger up to ur arm and possibly reach the top of your head, not because they love you but because it's the highest point they could reach and they feel safe there.

How can you assume that seriously LOL. Fear really, I highly doubt that . If anything the chameleon probably wants to come out of caged environment if your are to assume by watching the video. Regardless my WC male panther is as friendly as a lizard can be. Comes right out don't matter if my hand is across the cage and I'm 6 feet lower than him. He's only one out of many reptiles I do have. My male panthers are the only ones If I wanted I could take out regularly with out a issue or struggle or sign of stress. I don't think you can tame a chameleon but you can learn to understand what they don't mind and can tolerate. Also when you are able to handle them if you its possible they will let you know.

Most of my chameleons don't even like me looking in their direction :D

I have two veiled chams, one is 6 months old, and one is a year old, male and female. Since they were the size of my pinky, I've been handling them on almost a daily basis. However, both of them through an absolute tantrum (much like a 4 year old in walmart), whenever I try to get them out of the cage. I think it does not really matter how much you work with them... Their set personalities will decide how much they allow you to hold them! As a side note, my female is perfect when I get her out of the cage. She has done some "Tangled" themed birthday parties, and was a perfect little angel. My male... I'm still working with him :)

Same with mine :D They don't mind really, and now seem to quite enjoy it when I mist them (that took patience, neither of them took to it quickly :)) but if they catch me staring at them they sometimes get nervous.........

I have two veiled chams, one is 6 months old, and one is a year old, male and female. Since they were the size of my pinky, I've been handling them on almost a daily basis. However, both of them through an absolute tantrum (much like a 4 year old in walmart), whenever I try to get them out of the cage. I think it does not really matter how much you work with them... Their set personalities will decide how much they allow you to hold them!

I don't think you can tame a chameleon but you can learn to understand what they don't mind and can tolerate. Also when you are able to handle them if you its possible they will let you know.

totally agree with both

How can you assume that seriously LOL. Fear really, I highly doubt that .

why? watch the video again it' so clear!!
that's what chameleons do when they are scared! :eek:
first they freeze hoping you don't see them then they try to escape in the high branches (which might as well be your fingers or arms,... but don't tell them :D)

I'm not sure they can realize your hands,arms and face belong to the same "thing". There's not much knowledge about chams cognition of the world around them...I'd like to hear from kinyonga about that.....

P.s I can assume that cause I 've seen that behavior like a million times, in my cham and in any other chameleon I met.SERIOUSLY ;)

I've had tame chameleons, don't get me wrong. Out of the 7 I've had, both females and two males were pretty tame (3 of them are even what you'd consider friendly.) But the others, who grew up the exact same way, were not. And they didn't improve with age, they were always aggressive chameleons.

But I think even the ones that are friendly prefer not to have direct physical contact. They're happy on little plants and such around the house as I'm doing things, but they aren't crazy about being on my hands or shoulders. That's just my observation, anyway.

I will agree that a chameleon that has been accustomed to tolerate humans is going to live more stress-free than one who is perpetually disturbed by people.

The only thing that pisses my 4 month old is when I try to hand feed him CRICKETS. Since I have to hold the crickets with my fingers I guess my hand makes it look like a "predator" or something like that.(Put your hand like you were holding a cricket and look at your hand from the front :p) But when I feed him a wax worm and I am able to put the worm on stretched hand instead of holding it, he doesn't think twice before striking it!. He has gotten used to my hand when I offer him to come out since I have to stretch it out and he will climb right in. Is it possible that maybe why he gets very mad when I try to feed him crickets?

I've had my veiled since he was 4 months old and since day 1 he has been an absolute joy to handle. I never forced him out of his cage. But the moment I come in or walk anywhere near his cage he walks to the glass and claws to get out. He will sit on my shoulder as I potter around the house, and his colours are always bright and green. He's captive bred and has been handled since hatching though. He eats off me as well. He is v.active and has been know to sneak off up the stairs when my back is turned. Somedays he's a bit standoffish and has a bit of a puffy chin but otherwise he's great! Similar to a human in that way, he has happy days and grumpy days haha especially in the morning if we wake him up early!

My veiled will openly run to the front of the cage when I walk in the room or open the cage to clean or mist, but I'm not so Naive to believe he actually wants to come out and see me and be handled. He probably knows it means hes either going sunning outside or about to go in his tree.

I'm so jealous! I even turn my head to look in Po's cage and she'll throw a fit. I wish my girl didn't hate me so much.. like really she hates me.

Back
Top Bottom