Badypodion Pumilum!! Cape dwarf Cham

Madagaskar

Hi,

Just wanted to show you some pictures of my Dwarf chameleons

Today I let my chams go :( I thought they would be happier anyway I will find more. later on I was looking to see if I could find the ones I let go,I found 2 out of five, but then it just caught my eye I found a tiny baby one what a lucky find!:D This little one is perfect i'm gonna grow it up then release it into its natural habitat. Where I live I have huge bushy trees which the chameleons thrive in, Iv'e collected about 8 Pumilums at my house that I moved in a few months ago, I used to stay on a wine farm and there were hundreds of those litte chams it was like easter, I found about 12 all in one place it was awesome. :D :)
Sorry I could only put five pictures on :( I will definately put more pictures on as soon as possible:)

Attachments

• IMG_8218.jpg
    IMG_8218.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_8142.jpg
    IMG_8142.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_8212.jpg
    IMG_8212.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_8120.jpg
    IMG_8120.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_8154.jpg
    IMG_8154.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 233
Beautiful chams. Some members just imported some brady pumilums. Cb from europe I believe. Those are some gorgeous little chams. If you were in the US you'd have a small fortune living right in your back yard.

I don't want to rain on your story but unless you have a permit to keep them your shouldn't and you probably know that already. Why don't you just watch them in the wild as is. They are beautiful and protected sorry my 2 cents.

Aha!, yay i found a way to put more on :D :D

Attachments

• IMG_8141.jpg
    IMG_8141.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8221.jpg
    IMG_8221.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_8257.jpg
    IMG_8257.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_8226.jpg
    IMG_8226.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_8227.jpg
    IMG_8227.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 174
I don't want to rain on your story but unless you have a permit to keep them your shouldn't and you probably know that already. Why don't you just watch them in the wild as is. They are beautiful and protected sorry my 2 cents.
@Dean Pulcini

I fully agree with you, I do observe them in their natural environment (which is difficult as they are little). I have a great passion for chameleons & I love to learn and watch their behaviour for a few days and release them back to their home/tree. In Summer I do help some that are dehydrated as we have no rain and it is extremely hot. I hose the tree tops aswell. It is awesome that they are living and breeding in our garden.

I understand now have fun. As a matter of fact I'm sitting here waiting for 1.2 pumilum to arrive this morning. Any feedback or info on the pumilum would help me out alot.

Last edited:
Madagaskar, I disagree with the comments that have been posted here. I think you should continue to enjoy your native lizards as you see fit. We have our native lizards over here as well. Many a forum member, professor, student, hobbyist, herpetologist, ecologist, reptile habitat advocate, etc. got his or her start as you have. As a science educator, I believe that loving and respecting nature starts with keeping, caring and studying pets. Habitat destruction, introduced species, and unregulated trade are the real enemies of species such as chameleons; not young people who are curious and intelligent and care. You should not be admonished or told how to interact with the creatures that interest you (particularly by someone from another country keeping that same species under artificial conditions). You are to be celebrated. I say carry on enjoying your local lizards. If you need some special educational permit that proves you are not trying to smuggle thousands of them out of the country, then get it to avoid a silly hassle. Love them, learn from them, and maybe, someday, aid and protect them in their own journey forward as a species.

Yeah I must agree with Monzon and I'm not sure about your comment Dean. I mean your 1.2 that are coming, laws have been broken for you to have that oppurtunity. I have nothing against you keeping them but I just don't see why you should keep them as from the us, where as a south african may not :) the authorities don't actually seem to do anything about people here that are keeping them unless its in large ridiculous numbers.

Oh and @Madagaskar what exotic chameleons do you keep?

I just don't see the sense in keeping them if they're in your backyard. Thats all I was saying nothing more.

Last edited:
I can go with you on that point! :) the only thing I find sad is that the people actually keeping the indegenous chameleons are not keeping them properly, they seem to all keep them in wooden cages for snakes.

But also the thing is not every south african has chameleons in their backyard, and I see a lot of people on here always say theyr jealous about us living in SA but I don't have chams in my garden. Bradypodion populations can concentrate themselves in very small specific areas. I can find them in one part of hermanus with no problems whatsoever but if I have to go just a few kilometers off from there and all of a sudden there's no chams!
You would also be very lucky if you saw flap neck chameleons in johannesburg.

I remember when I was in Hermanus I went down to this specific small bush onan embankment alongside a beach where I had a find a female pumilum, I'd go to the bush every day and that same female would be there I could watch her bask, go for walks and eat, she neved did leave that bush, I'm heading down this december and I'm going to have a look see if she or a new chameleon has taken to that bush. I can't wait to go see all the chameleons again. All the newborns that I saw must be nice and big by now. And I'll be taking some nice high def pics of them for the forum!

Yeah I must agree with Monzon and I'm not sure about your comment Dean. I mean your 1.2 that are coming, laws have been broken for you to have that oppurtunity. I have nothing against you keeping them but I just don't see why you should keep them as from the us, where as a south african may not :) the authorities don't actually seem to do anything about people here that are keeping them unless its in large ridiculous numbers.

Just so we are on the same page. There were no laws broken for us to get these chams. They have CITIES paper in Germany, they went legally through customs, and now they are here after going through customs again here in the US. I will be getting my very legal B. transvaalense on Wednesday. We paid well to have these chams come to us legally.

Hi,

Just wanted to show you some pictures of my Dwarf chameleons

Today I let my chams go :( I thought they would be happier anyway I will find more. later on I was looking to see if I could find the ones I let go,I found 2 out of five, but then it just caught my eye I found a tiny baby one what a lucky find!:D This little one is perfect i'm gonna grow it up then release it into its natural habitat. Where I live I have huge bushy trees which the chameleons thrive in, Iv'e collected about 8 Pumilums at my house that I moved in a few months ago, I used to stay on a wine farm and there were hundreds of those litte chams it was like easter, I found about 12 all in one place it was awesome. :D :)
Sorry I could only put five pictures on :( I will definately put more pictures on as soon as possible:)

I love your pictures, we are happy to see all the pictures you can get of them. Enjoy the Pumilums, that is a part of your country like others animals are here.:)

We don't seem to be on the same page then Laurie.

Yes you may have CITES permits for these chameleons and such and such. But where did the original pumilum come from? I don't remember ever reading that there might have been a time where a group were legally collected from the wild and legally imported into Europe. What I'm saying is somehow some illegal things were done to get them into europe which along the line got them to the US (i.e its indirect). That's my understanding of it and the obvious but I am welcome to any clarifications if someone can prove me wrong.

The only way for a south african to own a bradypodion, or any indigenous animal for that matter is if it is purchased from a person who has them CB on the correct permits, but for that person to have them they would of needed to have bought their original animals from a source that also follows the legal criterias, its never ending. From previous reading and research I don't even think its possible to permanently keep the animals for scientific studies. If you had to have something under permit and it dies it has to be declared to authorities.

I have contacted the Agric. Department, Cape Nature, and many other departments about bradypodions and the possible legalities of keeping them and they told me its impossible because of the system. But you can beat the system by importing our own bradypodion species from Europe (lol) into SA, that is where we could get the permits approved, but who would want to go through all that?

And also, therefore, a person in South Africa would not be able to legally export pumilums out of south africa. I'm sure you pay good money for the bradypodion species because of the, let's say, pleasant pain of the south african law. And I'm pretty sure you're going to pay A LOT more for tanzanian species in the future now because of the ban.

Last edited:
Madagaskar, I disagree with the comments that have been posted here. I think you should continue to enjoy your native lizards as you see fit. We have our native lizards over here as well. Many a forum member, professor, student, hobbyist, herpetologist, ecologist, reptile habitat advocate, etc. got his or her start as you have. As a science educator, I believe that loving and respecting nature starts with keeping, caring and studying pets. Habitat destruction, introduced species, and unregulated trade are the real enemies of species such as chameleons; not young people who are curious and intelligent and care. You should not be admonished or told how to interact with the creatures that interest you (particularly by someone from another country keeping that same species under artificial conditions). You are to be celebrated. I say carry on enjoying your local lizards. If you need some special educational permit that proves you are not trying to smuggle thousands of them out of the country, then get it to avoid a silly hassle. Love them, learn from them, and maybe, someday, aid and protect them in their own journey forward as a species.

Thank you, My passion is nature and animals, and I have considered protecting them in the near future.

I only have an Ambanja Panther chameleon his name is Eragon ,he's a year and a month old i've had him for 7 months and I love him dearly ♥

Back
Top Bottom