Are there any risks for catching moths to feed Larry?

Jonah S

I have seen a few moths outside that don't look too big for Larry to handle, I was curious if there were any reasons why I shouldn't try to nab some. I thought I read somewhere about wild caught bugs having parasites, that is why I am asking though :D

I have seen a few moths outside that don't look too big for Larry to handle, I was curious if there were any reasons why I shouldn't try to nab some. I thought I read somewhere about wild caught bugs having parasites, that is why I am asking though :D

I feed Triton moths all this past spring and summer and he loved them! Just as long as there are no pesticides around your area they should be fine. Just make sure that non of them are poisonous..:)

I feed Triton moths all this past spring and summer and he loved them! Just as long as there are no pesticides around your area they should be fine. Just make sure that non of them are poisonous..:)

I have to agree with Jaxy. I think you should worry more about pesticides and poisons in the moth from what the caterpillar ate than parasites. I try to be careful with feeding my cham WC bugs, but hey, they all will probably get parasites at least once.

What are sources for bugs to acquire pesticides? Gardeners who use it on their plants, or agriculture?

I live in an apartment complex in Tallahassee and we have a pretty good landscape service, don't know a thing about pesticides though. I see enough bugs that I would think there isn't much in use, if any, but I don't really have anything to compare it to.

What I want to think is you will find more pesticides in more industrialized areas or areas next to farms..but I am just guessing. I would say city=bad, suburb=bad rural=possibly ok

What are sources for bugs to acquire pesticides? Gardeners who use it on their plants, or agriculture?

A lot of people with yards around here have them treated for weeds, this could be a problem. Right before it started getting cool I treated my yard for fleas because my poor little dog got them bad.

Other than that, ant and indoor bug preventatives, people spraying around their houses for bees/spiders. Most farms use pesticides and urban areas have a lot of pollution. Any areas with a water source that runs through a city could be dangerous as well.

Rule of thumb: If it can kill a bug, it will probably kill your cham. Give them two days of captive care to be sure they are safe. Gutloading can be used to boost their natural resources.

Wild chameleons have to deal with a lot of risks and I figure most survive. Avoiding these chances is a good idea, but don't get too awfully paranoid. They are wild animals and have lived for thousands of years coping with this sort of stuff.:cool:

I feed mine WC bugs, I just try to be careful.:D

I wouldn't risk it, I will only ever feed my cham store/breeder bought bugs, we have a field next door and I hear alot of crickets chirping in there daily, but I don't know were they've been before they go into the field, so I air on the side of caution.

Back
Top Bottom