Anyone else think oustalets are the best!

cr69g2

I have a 11 inch male oustalets..and i have to say they are the most interesting chameleons that ive dealt with....big and lively and curious. mine lives in a ficus tree and sleeps in a screened cage.He eats anoles and house geckoes and crickets occassionally. he is weary but doesnt stress out easily..does anyone else have one and agree..

I love my Oustalets, my male is lazy and predictable, my female is always ready to eat and a bit more active. Do you order feeder anoles and geckos? At 11" I am assumming he is not that old as mine are both around 2 years old and longer than 20". How is yours getting UVB if he is free ranging by day?

In the wild Oustalets eat just about anything they want! They have huge appetites. I will not feed mine other lizards.

I went from Veileds and Jacksons 15 years ago, to a mellers just last month (our fist cham since the veileds). I will say, I get much more enjoyment out of caring for one of the "larger" species compared to my previous experiences. I am almost tempted to try an Oustalets but I really want to make an attempt at breeding Meller's so I have to be careful with space. We're planning on a custom design for our next home and the plans include a large custom indoor/outdoor room which can very well accomodate an Oustalets.

Luis

I have >40 oustaleti at the moment...want another? ;) They really are a great chameleon. The CH and CB oustaleti are extremely hardy animals and are actually more colorful than a lot of people realize. The males show some impressive orange, red, black, yellow and white coloration and the green and reds in the females is real nice. Their size is impressive as well. Definitely need at least a 2'x2'x4' for the males though!

Chris

What parasites would the animal "pick up" from wild anoles?

I think it is arguable that new world parasites would not effect an old world animal.

There is coccidia, but I would be surprised if a wild anole was carrying that.

-Brad

edit: There have been several cases of WC veileds from Florida whose fecals test clean, and I will bet they are eating anoles!

I have >40 oustaleti at the moment...want another? ;) They really are a great chameleon. The CH and CB oustaleti are extremely hardy animals and are actually more colorful than a lot of people realize. The males show some impressive orange, red, black, yellow and white coloration and the green and reds in the females is real nice. Their size is impressive as well. Definitely need at least a 2'x2'x4' for the males though!

Chris

Chris,

Did you hatch these? Are they ch or cb?
Fantastic!
I do love the way these animals look.

-Brad

Those anoles must be smart then! I never knew old world and new world etc. really meant anything, learned another new thing today!

We've got quite a few for sale also ...

As noted, they are notorious eaters of other lizards, to include other smaller chameleons. Larger males rarely hesitate to nail anything within reach, to include the new small panther chameleon you just purchased. I also think that alarms over letting one eat a fresh wild lizard, such as an anole or gecko, are a bit alarmist. These animals do quite well on their own in the wild, usually far better than most captive husbandry conditions, and I am of the school-of-thought that some concepts of sterility often create more problems than they solve. Oustalets are also far less prone to bite, on average, than are veileds and panthers. In fact, it is rare that we reach for CH Oustaleti, of equal unfamiliarty to being handled as a similar veiled or panther, and it tries to bite. This bite-response difference between species is quite obvious. In their own way, they are gentle giants. Glad to see them get a plug.

Chambaby,

Outside of the larger size of the males, meaning you can't squeeze them into a cage you might could get away with for other speiceis, they are the same as for veileds and panthers. I think a 4' tall cage, set up off the ground 2-3', would be the minimum for a male. The bigger ... certainly the better.

Jim the pair i purchased from you are doin excellant. i really love these guys just like others have said they are a hardy cham and the growth rate is ridiculous .if any you guys have a little extra cash and the space i highly recomend you give jim at chameleon company a call he has some really beautiful ones for sale thanks again jim they were worth every penny!!!!!!!!:D

Back
Top Bottom