Another Panther breeding question

Discussion in 'Chameleon Breeding' started by ChromaChameleons, Nov 10, 2007.

1. ChromaChameleons

ChromaChameleons
    Expand Collapse

At what age can a male Panther begin breeding?

Does the shedding of sperm plugs suggest he would be ready?

2. Cameochams

Cameochams
    Expand Collapse

They can start 7-months to a year. We've found about a year if not more.

ChromaChameleons likes this.
  3. PardalisGirl

PardalisGirl
    Expand Collapse
    Established Member

Panther Breeding.......

I think it's more important to worry about the females age. Males will show interest at a fairly early age. I would wait with them until you see the regular shedding of substantial DNA material with poops or on branches. They will want to breed earlier than that but I think the fertility rate will be better if you wait. With females, it's extremely important to wait until they are healthy and sturdy enough for the process. It is actually a life and death situation for them. Breeding too soon can mean an early death later on. Just my opinion and "two cents".....

ChromaChameleons likes this.
  4. ChromaChameleons

ChromaChameleons
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the replies...

I agree with the point regarding females. The youngest Ive ever bred a female was at 11.5 months. She was virtually full grown and pacing her cage at the site of males across the room. It was obvious that she was ready .

But I now have a 12.5 month old female waiting for a mate. Shes definitely ready , but the oldest males are born last April, making them about 7- 7.5 months old now. They don't appear to be full sized yet, but do appear ready to breed. My goal is to avoid an infertile clutch , but still trying to push things forward another 4 to 6 weeks.

My female is presently on a small ration feeding schedule of about 3 - 5 2/3 size crix a day with limited supplementation . Hopefully she will hang in another few weeks. I'll start her eating more with more supplementation a few weeks before breeding.