am I stressing him?

tagerlilly18

I'm a first time cham owner and I love this little guy I just got last Sunday. I read about when you get them to let them be for a dew days and adjust and to rarely handle them. Well when I opened his container ,he on his own climbed on to my hand and I didn't have the cage set up yet so the next hr or so he hung out with me and ended up going to sleep on my finger. That was our first day together. Then the next day I noticed he shys away from my face at first when he's on my hand but after he is out for a while he remembers I'm not going to eat him. he climbed up my face and on to my head and he stayed there for an hr and then feel asleep on my hand as I watched TV. The third day he took a cricket from my fingers and climbed up on my head again for an hour while I sat up his mesh cage . I was just wondering if he was stressed from the handling he doesn't seem it to me but he's my first cham. His colors don't really change when I have him out , he climbs on my hand on his own, he doesn't run from my hand or puff up his neck. I looked up stress signs and he doesn't wobble or anything that makes me think he's stressed. It's just from what I read they don't like being handled and he doesn't seem to mind it.

IMO it's really good to not hold them for a good solid week after the first arrive. This gives them time to familiarize with the cage, and establish a routine. Allowing them to find their favorite basking spot or hiding spot. I think I held my Cham a total of two times the first three weeks or so. You can bond over food! That's what I'm doing. I also have a pump mister not a misting system. I'll eventually move to the automatic mist system I just like to do it myself right now while he's young. This way my presence is always associated with something good. Not, there she is, she's going to get me from my nice warm cage. Know what I mean? To each their own, I just prefer it this way. It's working for me. Every Cham is different! I'd love to see your little Cham and set up!

If he keeps climbing on you on his own free will, I would say your are not stressing him at all.
Consider yourself lucky to have a friendly cham ;)

He was falling asleep around 9 or 10 . His cage is really dinky ATM lol I'm in the process of getting more plants and branches for him to climb on . I'll upload a pic when I get home. I'm so relieved to hear he isn't stressed because I was stressing worrying About if he was lol.

Here he is :) I call him likki

Attachments

• IMG_20140324_212559589.jpg
    IMG_20140324_212559589.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20140323_193909.jpg
    IMG_20140323_193909.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 133
He's beautiful! Your are very lucky indeed. I wouldn't change a thing as long as he is climbing on your hand willingly

He was falling asleep around 9 or 10 . His cage is really dinky ATM lol I'm in the process of getting more plants and branches for him to climb on . I'll upload a pic when I get home. I'm so relieved to hear he isn't stressed because I was stressing worrying About if he was lol.

Here he is :) I call him likki

Likki is one handsome dude! I love all his blue! And orange stripes :)

You definitely want to put more vines and foliage in there. This will give him more room to explore, get exercise, and have shade and places to hide when stressed or scared. Not INCREDIBLY sad though ;)

I stuck 2 grape vines in there yesterday and put a bamboo stick in horizontally. So slowly but surely its getting there lol. I'll post another picture when I get a little more in.:)

I stuck 2 grape vines in there yesterday and put a bamboo stick in horizontally. So slowly but surely its getting there lol. I'll post another picture when I get a little more in.:)

You have to watch out with grape vines! If they were sand-blasted (I believe that was the cleaning term for it) then they will readily absorb water, causing them to mold and all sorts of things. Just make sure you check them so this can be avoided!

Back
Top Bottom