Am I look dehydrated??

zordtaz

I just wonder that is he look dehydrated or not. He seem not interested in cricket at all. Most likely he want to eat fruit fly instead. Some of the time I saw him rub his eye on the branch too. Is it normal? He also close either one of his eyes for 1-2 minutes under the basking spot occasionally but not all the time. Is the light too strong? Should I getting worry? Please help me. Sorry if I ask stupid question.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 161
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 152
Chameleon Info:
* Your Chameleon - Jackson Chameleon around 4-5 months
* Handling - Twice a week when I clean up his cage or take out dead cricket
* Feeding - Cricket, silkworms, naturally fruit fly inside our house. I can gut load since he refuse to take it so I let them free in the cage. I put 8-10 crickets a day. I am not sure how much he ate. 1 silkworms a day. This I saw him eat
* Supplements - Repti calcium without d
* Watering - moonson mister. Run 4 times a day with 2 mins mist. I also spray with warm water in the morning after the light on for 5 minutes. I create Derian system in the cage. I drill the pvc underneath so exceed water drop to the bucket. There are some standing water after light off but not much.
* Fecal Description - Nope. It looks normal. Have white color on the tip and black on the other part. No orange or yellow
* History - I bought him from pets store where I went to visit them 2 months ago to observe the store and him. Then I decide to buy him since he still look normal and look healthy when I return to the same pets store month after that

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - Screen cage. 16 x 16 x 30
* Lighting - I bought the zoomed chameleon kits that have all the material need for starter
* Temperature - Basking spot is around 85 and night temp is around 72-75. Ambient temp is 70.
* Humidity - Humidity in the basking spot is around 58-65 unless I mist him in the morning, it will go up to 75-80. The rest of the cage is 75-80. I also have cool mist humidifier run on the cool side of cage too.
* Plants - I have one big pothos and 2 small pothos. One fake plant at the corner
* Placement - We have small sun room in the back less traffic and can see some light though windows
* Location - Where are you geographically located? Chicago, IL

On weekend, I took him out to get real sunlight for 10 minutes.

He doesn't look dehydrated to me especially if his urates are white. Rubbing the eyes as long as it's not done excessively is normal he could just be cleaning them. Your basking temp is a little high I would bring it down to about no more than 80 degrease until he gets a little older IMO they overheat easily. Not sure why your temps are that high at night unless you are using a heat sores as well. If so stop they need a cool down especially montane species. I let mine get down in the 60s cooler would be even better. If he don't seem to be a pig don't get too concerned about it these guys don't have that whole I better eat it now I might not have it tomorrow like veiled do. They seem to do everything at a slower pace from my observations. Hope this was of some help good luck.

Last edited:
I don't have any heat source on the night at all. My house is running on ac. The temp in the whole house is 72. His cage is at the end of the house. What I am worry is he close his eyes around 1-2 occasionally 3-4 times a day or at least I saw him did that

Maybe he's not properly resting because the night time temperatures stay up to high (and humidity to low)...
The occasional night at 70F will not hurt them but it's better to drop temperatures to 59F ~ 64.4F (59F being better) since it makes them sleep better and also helps their digestive system.

My Jackson's often goes onto the balcony when it's to warm at night and he's still a happy fella at 54.5F (lowest I've kept him out).

I don't have any heat source on the night at all. My house is running on ac. The temp in the whole house is 72. His cage is at the end of the house. What I am worry is he close his eyes around 1-2 occasionally 3-4 times a day or at least I saw him did that
My bad I thought it read the temps were around 75 at night. If you have AC on I'll bet it gets lower than 70 mine does especially towards the bottom where they sleep. are you using an infrared heat temp gun to check your heat they are way more accurate, and precise you can even take the temp of your chams body with these things. They are real reasonable on E-bay got mine for just a little over 5 bucks. The eyes closing unless he does it continually, and often I wouldn't worry about it they do occasionally close there eyes. Do his eyes look okay they just may be a little irritated? I doubt the UVB would have anything to do with it the problems they had with them are pretty much been solved, but you never know.

@brownie64 i would thought the same thing about uvb. I saw a post yesterday about close eye while basking too. I will get linear light fixture and move it up from cage 2-3 inches. His eyes look normal too. Hope it will help.

It is me again. This morning I saw some orange dot in his poo. Does it mean anything? The black part I already smash it to see any undigest cricket or not so I didn't take a picture

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom