Am I alone?

sixstring

I think that I find my roaches just as rewarding and interesting to keep as the things I feed them too. I only have Lateralis and Discoids right now, but thinking about jumping on the Dubia bandwagon and see how they match up to the Discoids. I consider them pets now. It was not the same with crickets or my old rat rack, they were just food. Am I the only one that feels this way? I even named my favorite male Discoid lol

I keep a group of Peppered Roaches (Archimandrita tesselata) Just as pets. They are awesome. You are not alone I enjoy my roaches.

I love mine! I even gave sone to my friends who wanted to keep some as pets. :D they are super fun to hold and sometimes I feel bad when I squeeze them too hard and they 'throw up' or poop out stuff.

They are a blast. The adult Discoids are just amazing looking. And the Lateralis are like a giant open ant farm. I just got 1,000 of them from another member for a really good deal. I already have too many, but I ordered 500 from another place. I am only feeding 2 juvie Ambilobes, so I think I might have too many for what their in. My god their fast. I think its time to start looking into some exotic species....:D

I love our Dubias! They are so much fun to watch and feed. and the babies are adorable. I think I watch them almost as much as I watch our chams lol

gpmo (her)

s

QUOTE=primestick;394888]Go for the hissing roaches.[/QUOTE]

I had a colony a few years back. I thought They were kind of ugly. I thing so some big, really big, with orange wings would be prime. I can't remember the species. Maybe something really rare and beautiful....? I got done with finals last night so ill have time to research a little this afternoon

I am into spiders and scorpions too which might have something to do with my seemingly clinical obsession. I also have never lived in an area that is prone to infestation. I see them as another insect, same as a butterfly. I don't see them as pest which might seperate my view from yours Olimpia.

Im with you Olimpia. I love the fact that they are a great feeder & dont stink. But I def dont consider them "pets". I just cant get over the whole "roach" stigma.

I can appreciate why you would consider them pets, since they require a fair amount of care to really thrive as a colony, but I will never get over the roach thing either. I did have them as pests growing up, with the huge godzilla sized fast roaches that ran around our basement -bleeeegh!

I will admit the lateralis scare the hell out of me, just because they are are fast. I have a few roommates that feel the same way some of you do. Their fun to watch though

I can appreciate why you would consider them pets, since they require a fair amount of care to really thrive as a colony, but I will never get over the roach thing either. I did have them as pests growing up, with the huge godzilla sized fast roaches that ran around our basement -bleeeegh!

I grew up in southern Louisiana in a really old house. We always had those huge roaches running around. I have many memories of running around with my brother & popping them with flip flops! :p Poor little roaches! lol

Now I'm keeping about 400 dubia & I love those little guys! :D They're super hardy & clean unlike those nasty crickets. Really easy to take care of compared to most feeders. I've had my colony for a few months now & a bunch are finally molting into adults in the last week or so. Pretty exciting. In another month I ought to have more nymphs than I know what to do with! :eek:

I'm the same way! Haha I posted a pic of a newly shed roach and I was like it's so cute! LOL I was hoping I could get a good colony going and sell some as pets.

The other thing I dont like about the Lateralis is that they CAN climb, just not very well. If their on a rougher plastic that can climb up it fairly easily. So much fun to watch and they breed like nothing I have ever seen, but there are a pain to work with. The discoids on the other hand are very easy to catch, and have a much harder time climbing. The adults are beautiful too. Some of the adults wings are kind of "broken up" at the end of them. Does anyone know what causes this? I has to be a health thing....

Back
Top Bottom