Adopted a new veiled *Definite Aww factor here*

looks like there might be some gout

From the pics you posted it looks like she might have some gout going on (does she have a very "mushy" swelling under her chin/on her throat?) that could be a result of some high intensity supplementing either at petco or since youve had her (or also from zero supplementing or lack of a uv light at petco)... you could try calling the vet in your area which would a) give you an idea as to whether they know anything about chameleons in the first place and b) they might be able to give you some advice/"home remedies"
another thing; have you seen or noticed her drinking at all?
Is there any possibility she might be gravid or have some eggs in her? that could make her be poking around the bottom of her cage
best of luck!
Erin
p.s. she does look like quite the beaut i hope things get sorted!

Thanks for really convincing me the vet is the best option Erin. The lil girl has an appointment at 5PM today thanks to mazurowsk1 :) Her chin might be a lil bit puffy, but that's it. What should I bring with me to the Dr? Maybe a stool sample just in case? Does it need to be an extremely fresh stool or can it be a day or 2 old? I've only had the lil thing a few days so.

-Dave

Im thinking the same as Grizz. At first when I saw the leg I thought maybe a fracture. When I took a closer look it does seem like something like gout or arthritis. I dont own veileds but it looks to me like her feet are swollen along with the forearms. Are they kinda lumpy along the feet also? I would make sure she is drinking well and gutload with something with no protein in it and possibly a lower protien feeder untill you can get her to the vet. High protien gutloading such as dog/cat food can cause gout. Also primarily potatoes beeing used in excess. This is what a lot of pet stores will maintain there crickets on and not gutload them with anything good before being fed off. This is what I am thinking but I would definatly get her to that vet. Good luck.

UPDATE
Dave has been at the vet since 5pm with the little one and I just got word that he finally talked to the vet at around 6:30. We will keep you updated.

Alright, first off All Creatures in Dunwoody gave me some of the slowest service I've ever had. I literally sat there for over an hour in the exam room before they sent the doctor in, they didn't even check on me till I stuck my head out the door and was like "Did you forget about me?"

So here's the scoop. The vet had a hard time making a completely confident diagnosis, but here's how he ranks the possibilities. 1. Bacterial Infection, possibly bone infection. 2. MBD swelling. 3. Possible weak bone fracture, possibly caused by MBD, 4. Abcess or tumor of some sort. He also said it could be kidney or liver problems, but it's not really what he's worrying about as of right now, as that would take blood tests and all that, very expensive.

He actually donated the medications to me, very nice of him (and understanding of my wait) as I explained my financial situation and how I came across having Keiko. He first obviously prescribed her Baytril (antibiotic), .1 cc a day for 14 days. And then Calcium Glubionate (super oral calcium), .05 cc a day for 30 days. That should treat the first 2 most probable diagnoses, infection and MBD. He wants me to bring up her cage temp a lil bit if possible, to cure her lethargy and to help keep her going as the antibiotics are going to take their toll on her. I went to Walmart tonight, hoping to get a heating pad, but all of the heating pads had a 1 or 2 hour auto shutoff. So I'm going to need to find a new one, tryin to track one down.

I again want to thank Keiko's Godmother ;-) Charla (mazurowsk1) for her kindness, she didn't have to do this, and she was so kind and understanding, definitely a gift to the world. She had a stance where it wasn't about the money but about the health of this poor girl, and I, and Keiko, can't thank her enough. Thank you so much Charla.

I recieved offers from a couple others on this board too. This goes out to you as well, you know who you are, THANK YOU! This community is really awesome, and it's great to see so many good people still in the world today, its a blessing.

I'm supposed to give the vet a call if this doesn't clear up in a couple weeks. I'm going to keep everyone updated.

Btw- he said to dust with Reptivite w/ D3 for 3 days a week, obviously don't worry about the calcium dusting due to the oral calcium treatment. Keep up with the gutloaded crickets, keeping her well fed, as many as she wants to eat. So the lil girl is getting special treatment for the next few weeks at least ;-)

Thanks again for all the great advice everyone!

-Dave

Just an update on Keiko, she's doin somewhat better now, I've noticed more activity from her. The swelling in her leg hasn't gone down, but I'm really starting to think it's some sort of calcium reinforcement after she broke it a while back maybe.

Now I've got a new problem with her, I just noticed about 5 minutes ago that her eyes are starting to sink in...dehydration. Am I correct in figuring Pedialyte is the best course of action? How many cc's a day?

-Dave

Although the eyes can sink in from dehydration, this also happens when the chameleon is ill and going down hill. I still think that there is something else going on with her and if its not addressed you will lose her. I'm not a vet so I can't tell you what it is exactly...there are too many possibilities....but I think she needs to see a vet again. Sorry to have to tell you this.

I know it's not traditional medicine, maybe sounds a bit crazy, but at this point I'll try anything. I would already have the lil girl at the vet, but for reasons I've already mentioned (distance, lack of funds), it's really hard to.

Maybe I'll make some calls and see who's all out there and who will see her.

-Dave

she needs a vet no choice about it
save one save the world :)
hope she does great

Lol I read all the way through it without noticing because it came up in new posts. It was a good read though :) I'd like to know how she turned out.

Back
Top Bottom