Adopted a female in poor health last night... "help"

Sean1978

Well, I got my male veiled 2 weeks ago figuring I'd ease my way into the Chameleon thing.

I had called about a Chameleon about a month ago that I had seen on craigslist with sparse details but had not got an answer.

The owner called me yesterday. She told me that her phone had been cut off and that noone had wanted to buy her chameleon. She told me that her boyfriend had lost his job and they could no longer afford to feed it. She told be I could have it if I wanted it and that they were going to "set it free" if nobody took it.

Sooo...

I now have a female veiled appx 1 year old. She was kept in a 75 gallon aquarium for about 6 months after being bought from petsmart at about 6 months old. The owners told me she had not had crickets in about 3 days because they ran out.

Her cage:
75 gallon aquarium, 2 "spot" lights, I'm thinking no UVB. She was fed crickets with calcium powder every time. She drank from a waterfall. An astro-turf type substrate was used.

I sat her up last night in a wire mesh rat/ferret cage last night because that's all I had. I put her waterfall in the cage because I was not sure if I should take it away as that's what she had drank from her entire life.

I gave her crickets and she ate one immediately.

She's got bumps all over her ribs (I'm thinking broken / MBD or something).

I know everyone wants pictures, and I would appreciate some feedback but I have a wedding tonight. I'm guessing I'm going to be up late Sunday night building screen enclosures.

I'll take her in, but if there are any other more experienced chameleon keepers in my area I'd be willing to give her to you.

I'll get pics as soon as I can, but my very busy weekend just got a lot busier.

OK, first bit of advice, im pretty novice about rescues.

best thing to do would be to mist, with plants, see if she an drink off the leaves, she should be able to figure it out, if she does remove the water fall immediatly.. they are sesspools.

definate vet trip is in order, if she does have MBD you are going to want to correct it immediatly.

Whether you decide to keep her or not, the first thing you need to do is get her to a vet. The bumps on her ribs could be breaks, subcutaneous parasites or something else all together. Pictures would definitely be helpful.

It is so great that you took her in, seeing that she was in need, in spite of her health issues. It is also really great that you are willing to give her up to a more experienced keeper in your area. It sounds like those people took terrible care of her. :(

I agree with Sang, I would try misting her enclosure heavily several times a day (she is probably dehydrated) and see if she doesn't get used to drinking from the leaves. I would ditch that waterfall right away.
Did you get a UV light for her? If you don't already have one, pick up a Reptisun 5.0 tube bulb ( go to www.lllreptile.com for the cheapest prices).

I'm sure you will get her on the road to health, but seeing a vet is really important. What ever health problems she has at the moment (I'm sure they're numerous) she isn't going to kick without help from a vet. Good luck!

Just got home from the wedding. I had my roommate mist the Chams and turn there lights on.

I ordered a set of 18x18x36 chameleon cages from LL reptile. I got the new girl a Repti-glo 5.0 light before I left on Friday.

I'll get some pictures later this evening. I'm going to need and automated misting system ASAP if anyone has any recommendations.

Herpmist is a pretty good one, and mistking, they are practically identical minus a few bucks.

3036960952_3407698199_b.jpg

3036954760_1480b84d5b_b.jpg

3036103939_64f0f303eb_b.jpg

Talked to Chris "Cleanlinechameleons" on AIM tonight and he gave me some pointers. She's acting erratically and he's thinking she might be gravid/eggbound/something. I'm going to give the local vet a call tomorrow and see if I can get her looked at.

This is a bit much for me. I'm new to chameleons although I read a decent amount before I got mine. I had no plans of having a mature female with problems fall into my lap.

im not an expert, but she looks SUPER gravid/ maybe eggbound, im not the one to be making that call. a more expereinced member can give you advice on how she is looking.

BUT you definatly need to see a vet ASAP , as you said you were going to. we hope to hear good news.

Don't believe he does Jann but I think she is past that point. From what he told me she was laying on her side when he got home last night and she doesn't have tons of strength. But what gets me is he said that she went after crickets the day he got her, which is rare (not impossible) for a female ready to lay. Hopefully she made it through the night and he gets to Wheelock today.

Let us know Sean.

-chris

She passed last night. I got instructions for what to do to her from both Chris and Matthew Wheelock.

She was near death when I got her and I couldn't do much about it. She was properly hydrated.

The good from this is that Mr. Wheelock will be getting the body tomorrow for study.

I'm not sure if I'd take another cham in this condition, it's been a stressful situation for me.

DOn't feel too bad, all though you tried ot do the right thing, you were not at the most advanced level to be taking care of an animal this ill. unfortunatly even with the best of care, this may have been the initial outcome of the situation.

although it would have been wonderful to see you nurse her back to healthy, things don't always go down how we hope they do.

Best of luck, and don't let this experience detour you from taking in another rescue, just maybe plan it out better.

Oh thats terrible, RIP little girlie :(

I wouldnt be surprised if she was riddled with parasites, let us know what the vet says.

Back
Top Bottom