A cage in a VW van?

Melvin

Hi :) I was wondering if it's possible to build a cage in a van? I mean of course it's possible but can a yemen chameleon live in it? Because it would be awesome to have my chameleon with me when im traveling in Europe :)

Can the vibrations stress him out? Could he loose his grip and fall?

Please help me out :) Maybe im really stoopid but.. whatever :) haha

Attachments

• VW.jpg
    VW.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 177
My guess is that he would become very stressed out. I probably wouldn't do it, only for like trips to the vet or something. It would be pretty cool though!

Yeah it would be awesome with a cage in a van! And he would become a chameleon with great experience!

Would be awesome to have a cage in there with a chameleon, though I suspect the chameleon will be significantly stressed out by it.

I think it sounds like a fun idea...I don't think it would hurt to try it out and if he does get stressed then you can deal with it then :)

The first problem you'd have is that chameleons are protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES). As a result, it is illegal to transport them across international boarders without CITES documents from the exporting country. That means every time you crossed into a new country, you would have to wait for a new permit from that country to be issued and you would need to have your chameleon and its paperwork inspected and approved. If you didn't, you'd be breaking the law and could go to prison.

Legality aside, many chameleons, including veiled chameleons, communicate using substrate vibrations so the constant vibrations from the car would be stressful, not to mention the moving traffic and swaying with turns. Also, how would you plan to monitor his temperatures, particularly when you are not in the car? Carrying the cham around with you so it doesn't bake in the car is also stressful.

Not a good idea.

Chris

I think if you want to have your chameleon "with" you, you should just take a picture. A chameleon in a van would not only stress him out and maybe cause him to lose grip over a big bump, but I would think it would be extremely hard to keep constant good conditions in his enclosure-temps, humidity, etc.

Cool and crazy idea....i think it will stress the poor guy out...seeing all the trees passing him by might get him dizzy too...:eek:

Funny thing is I used to know a guy who drove around with his panther cham. on his shoulder or on a wilted ficus on the passenger seat. He would go to the mall, pet stores, girlfriends, you name it. That poor chameleon was always with him.

I don't think I would do it but thats just me I mean what if your a/c busts and the little buckaroo gets to hot and has no way to cool down

The first problem you'd have is that chameleons are protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES). As a result, it is illegal to transport them across international boarders without CITES documents from the exporting country. That means every time you crossed into a new country, you would have to wait for a new permit from that country to be issued and you would need to have your chameleon and its paperwork inspected and approved. If you didn't, you'd be breaking the law and could go to prison.

Legality aside, many chameleons, including veiled chameleons, communicate using substrate vibrations so the constant vibrations from the car would be stressful, not to mention the moving traffic and swaying with turns. Also, how would you plan to monitor his temperatures, particularly when you are not in the car? Carrying the cham around with you so it doesn't bake in the car is also stressful.

Not a good idea.

Chris

Yeah... what he said....:cool:

Bad idea.....;)

As far as the lighting goes you could provide power for them with one of those power converters that you plug into the cigarette lighter of your car

Back
Top Bottom