6 Meru & 17 Jacksonii Jacksonii Babies -- PICTURES!!!!

MeruJack

Avid Member
Wow, do I have babies! Thirteen days ago one of my Mt. Meru girls gave birth to 6 babies. Then, today, my sole jacksonii jacksonii female gave birth to 17 babies. Luckily, I had suspected that three of my females might be gravid so I read up on everything I could here on the forums regarding the care of Jackson's babies. I even planted three 12x12x18 inch terrariums in preparation. The third female that I thought was gravid recently "gave birth" to about 9 infertile "eggs." Like I said, I have been reading up on everything I can find regarding the care of Jackson's babies and have changed several aspects of my husbandry in order to obtain a higher survival rate than the expected 20%. I have decided to use glass enclosures (6 Meru in one and, since one female ended up not giving birth, I split the 17 jacksonii born today into the remaining 2 enclosures). I have decided to plant the enclosures in organic soil and cham-friendly plants. The Meru babies have a 25 watt bulb on for the first 5.5 hours of the day to bring up the heat after a nightly drop into the mid-60's. They have an older UVB light 12 hours a day. It usually stays between 72 & 76 degrees with humidity usually between 60 & 80%. I am also feeding them differently. One of the forum members wrote about putting a cup/colony of fruit flies in the baby enclosure each day so that the babies have access to food all day long. I have plenty of fruit fly and bean beetle colonies currently in bloom. Each day I choose a bean beetle colony, remove the lid and replace it with a second lid with a hole in it, stick a dowel in the hole and put the whole colony into the enclosure before I leave for work at 7:30 am. When I get home at 4:00, I remove the bean beetle colony which still has beetles trickling out and up the dowel. I water the enclosure and add a good helping of fruit flies for dinner. Lights go out at 6:30 pm. So far so good with the Meru babies. They started eating and drinking the first time I fed them which is an improvement over my old method for care. Then I came home from work today to find the jacksonii jacksonii babies. I have had the mom for about 6 weeks and knew that she was most likely gravid the minute she emerged from the box she was shipped in. She was black when I got home. I removed her from her enclosure until I had removed all the babies and sprayed her enclosure. I put her back in and added some crickets and she greened right up. Luckily, I have a three-day-weekend starting tomorrow so I can keep a close eye on them for a few days.

5 Meru Babies.JPG Merumontanus IMG_6743.JPG Sibling rivalry already Meru Baby.jpg Merumontanus Meru Clinging to Leaf.jpg Merumontanus Meru on Finger.jpg Merumontanus 5 jj babies.JPG Jacksonii jacksonii IMG_6817.jpg Jacksonii jacksonii IMG_6818.jpg Jacksonii jacksonii jj enclosures.JPG Jacksonii enclosures jj mom.jpg Jacksonii jacksonii mom today

They are awesome I wish you all the luck. In all your research did you come across any explanation of why they just die for apparently no reason at around 3-5 months?

Good luck with the little guys! I really hooe all your research and prep has paid off and you have better luck than just 20%.

They are awesome I wish you all the luck. In all your research did you come across any explanation of why they just die for apparently no reason at around 3-5 months?

Here is a quote from Junglefries regarding this: "The 3-5 month stage is called 'fragile'. They have yet to determine the exact cause. Many breeders have experienced the same phenomenom. Even the most experienced. It is the reason I gave up on them. Too heart felt. Just watch your temps, supplements, RH, and stagnant air. Good luck."

The new babies have not started to eat yet. However, since none of the 19 have started to eat yet I am thinking it is biologic/instinctive and am expecting them to begin to eat later today or tomorrow. They are very active and have access to lots of tiny hydei fruit flies. I am trying to find a balance between offering them enough food for when they decide to begin eating and not overwhelming them. I am using the trickle method (described by Xanthoman) as well as providing a fruit shish kebob for the waiting flies. MORE PICS BELOW!

DSCN9435.JPG DSCN9436.JPG DSCN9446.JPG DSCN9450.JPG Jacksonii jacksonii mom
DSCN9469.JPG Lunch awaits! DSCN9476.JPG

Here is a quote from Junglefries regarding this: "The 3-5 month stage is called 'fragile'. They have yet to determine the exact cause. Many breeders have experienced the same phenomenom. Even the most experienced. It is the reason I gave up on them. Too heart felt. Just watch your temps, supplements, RH, and stagnant air. Good luck."
Darn I was hoping you found an explanation. I think the ones who live in warmer clement have better luck as well they can give them natural sun light. I wish you all the luck with these. Keep us updated.

I wish you lived close to me so I could help with all those babies.

They are absolutely adorable. Congrats!

Oh, my goodness! I just found baby #20!! The lights had been out for two hours but I was busy making up new fruit fly cultures and went in the reptile room with my flashlight to get something. I saw the baby on the floor of Mom's enclosure and was thinking that he had died because I hadn't found him soon enough but when I shined the flashlight on him he started moving. I picked him up and he started gaping at me. I carried him over to one of the baby enclosures where he grabbed onto a vine and quickly scurried up to find a new place to sleep amongst 9 of his siblings. Wow! 20 babies!!! I can't believe it!

Oh, my goodness! I just found baby #20!! The lights had been out for two hours but I was busy making up new fruit fly cultures and went in the reptile room with my flashlight to get something. I saw the baby on the floor of Mom's enclosure and was thinking that he had died because I hadn't found him soon enough but when I shined the flashlight on him he started moving. I picked him up and he started gaping at me. I carried him over to one of the baby enclosures where he grabbed onto a vine and quickly scurried up to find a new place to sleep amongst 9 of his siblings. Wow! 20 babies!!! I can't believe it!

Wow, that is absolutely amazing!!! Congrats!!!!! (y)(y):)

Back
Top Bottom