55 gal tank

spikeleebd

i have a 55 gal tank that use to house my bd when he was a sub adult and i have recently put him in a 40 gal breeder tank and was wondering if i could house a chameleon in it. i know that people recommend mesh cages ,but can a chameleon thrive successfully in a 55 gallon tank

No, there is no airflow which causes respiratory probs, + chams can see their reflections in the glass and get stressed.

Not a good idea to put a cham where fish belong... If you are going glass at least get one with proper ventilation and meant for chams.

but what if you had a screen top and i live in ohio so it we have very high humidity here. it would at least be a starter cage for him or her

I found this article very helpful when I was considering a glass vivarium: http://chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html

Chameleons are not as hardy as bearded dragons, or pretty much any other reptile, and do not tolerate anything other than optimal conditions well at all. Humidity is a big factor, as you say, but they also need a clean airflow, otherwise bacteria can multiply and make them very ill very quickly.

I have followed all the guidelines as far as glass vivariums go, I have a well-ventilated Exo-Terra, but as much as it should work, my chameleon just isn't thriving in it, and I'm probably going to have to get a mesh vivarium instead.

You are doing the right thing by looking at issues like this though, before you get your chameleon, which is an excellent thing to do, and something which most people don't do, I certainly didn't. This board is a really good place to get info and learn from other people's mistakes though!

thank you i have always wanted a chameleon but i got a bearded dragon first and even though i have had him for a while i still consider myself as a beginner due to the fact that im used to dealing with somewhat of a semi arid herp it is hard making the transition to a tropical like lizard and i just want to have enough knowledge on chameleon because it is alot to watch out for when dealing with lizards that need high humidity.

one more question water dragons require high humidity and they can be house inside glass enclosures so why can't chameleons thrive in 1. also what if i took the 55 gallon tank and built a mesh cage on the top part.

if you are going to spend the money building a mesh cage on top of it why not just build a mesh cage period? Are bearded dragons prone to respiratory infections? chams are...... they are two entirely different animals.

Chameleons are awkward, high-maintenance little so-and-sos, which they just about compensate for by being so completely freakin awesome. They are unlike any other reptile, even other tropical species. . They just cannot be compared to anything else. Period.

I'm sorry if this was mentioned I didnt see It. Glass terrarium with the lower vent are ok.
The problem with the aquarium is the build up of stagnant air In the lower inches.. that's wat causes problems.. chams are native to high up in trees in the freshest of air!

one more question water dragons require high humidity and they can be house inside glass enclosures so why can't chameleons thrive in 1. also what if i took the 55 gallon tank and built a mesh cage on the top part.

Hey I have a chameleon that's almost a year old and i've been keeping him in a 55g setup with a mesh front since he was a baby. I turned it on its side so the screen top is a sliding door. (I'm about to move and upgrade his tank to a full screen).

He's been doing pretty well in it, even though it's not the ideal setup. Just wanted to let you know it can be done!

310325_2399790603958_1526820499_2514960_30238887_n.jpg

521318_3871929846519_1526820499_3139038_1719274398_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom