3 month update. Would like some "expert" opinions.

Cainschams

CH Kinyongia tavetana at 3 months. I know you guys are probably tired of seeing them:p but I am just fascinated with this species:D. If you have experience with young montanes I would like your opinion on the size and growth of these guys at this age. Thanks:)

A couple females.
Picture11311.jpg

Picture11312.jpg

Picture11313.jpg

I have another who is the same size.

The male who is the same size also:rolleyes:
Picture11308.jpg

He definatly has some nice coloration comming in!
Picture11305.jpg

Picture11307.jpg

hey buddy why are they so small you should see mine he's over six inches hahaha just kiddin my little guy is identical those .

I think they are amazing! They do seem to grow slowly if that is what you are concerned about. Fisher was in the tub for almost 4 months it seems.

Glad to hear that little guy is doing good Phil!!!

Thanks Juli, I know they grow slower than panthers but compared to them they dont even grow:rolleyes:. I guess a little reassurance is what Im needing:eek: I put these guys in little screen cages 1 month ago. They could have stayed in a smaller containers but I thought it was time to let them have a bigger space to roam since they are so active. My room is running pretty smooth for montanes also so I didnt/dont need to use the containers for holding humidity.

comparing your latest picture to your first picture of them, the DO grow:

Picture858.jpg

please dont stop posting updates here ;)

btw: can you post a few pictures of your whole enclosings (for adults and baby)

just beeing courious

Hello Marcus. Hahaha YES!!! They do grow:) Just seems soooooo slooowwww compared the the few clutches of pardalis I have hatched and raised. I know they grow slower but man is it SLOW. I never thought about a comparisson picture:eek::rolleyes: Thanks for posting that.

I just got off work and have a lot to do. Ill take some pics for you and post them up as soon as I can. I hope all is going well for you!

I try to look up the names of chameleons as I come across them and I don't see Chamaeleo Kinyongia tavetana , but I do see a Bradypodion Kinyongia tavetana, also listed as a Dwarf Fischer's Chameleon. Please advise. :)

You know those are still about the cutest babies on the forum, well except for my veileds.:D

Do those little guys get the same size a panther? I have seen new born panther but have yet to raise them. Any way keep posting pics, we all love those babies!!!!

Thanks guys!

Laurie, They only reach around 10 inches total length as adults. They are a smaller cham but still need a nice size cage because they are VERY active.

AJA, they were under the genus Bradypodion and now are under Kinyongia. If your looking on adcham.com there are still revisions that are being done. They are under Kinyongia now but, that is the genus, which hasnt been changed yet. There will be lots of revisions and updates to the site in the future:)

Here you go Marcus.

Here are a few pics. They are pretty simple setups but seem to work well. The first is what I have my only WC tavetana left in:eek::( She seems healthy as can be though! She isnt full grown or I would have a taller cage for her. She went into this one when she got here and has adjusted well so I will be keeping her in it untill she gets a little bigger. Also, dont mind the mess. I have switched rooms again and its not so organized at the moment:eek:

Picture11314.jpg

Here is a 6 cube enclosure that I raised the panthers from last year in. I have a few of these and they work pretty well. I just have a "flip top" and its much easier like that for cleaning. These pics are with the tavs in them. Again pretty simple;)

Picture11316.jpg

And a shot of just one of the cubes.
Picture11032.jpg

I found this link:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/bradypodion-13563/

So the Kinyongia taventana was moved from the Bradypodion to the Chamaeleo? Please advise, I am just trying to learn. :confused:

only the species moved, not the genus ;) The genus "Kinyongia" is new (since 2006).
A name is usually split in two parts: the genus and the species-name.
Since 2006 the genus is "Kinyongia", the species is "tavetana".
Before it was Bradypodion and before (I think) 1986 it was Chamaeleo. (in 2008 they additionally removed subspecies up to species, so it is no longer K. tavetana tavetana but K. tavetana)
So today the complete name is Kinyongia tavetana ("-na" instead of "-num" because Kinyongia is "female", while Bradypodion was neuter, it was called Bradypodion tavetanum before).

But it is (and never was) "Chamaeleo Kinyongia tavetana" or "Chamaeleo Bradypodion tavetanum". There is only one genus, not two ;)

You can read that here:
http://www.chameleonnews.com/?page=article&id=122

There were a few more attempts to classify this species, but to keep it simple I listed only the above.

-
@Cain
great settings. I am always curious how other ppl build settings for hatchlings. Yours look quite interesting, how do you open it? Is there one door for each sub-cage or do you open all cages with one door?
(You wouldn't feel sorry about your mess if you would have seen mine... :)) )

Marcus, there is a screen stapled to the top but only on the back so it flips up. It makes it easy for cage cleaning;) I use a long 1x2 piece of wood to run along the top to hold it down and also the light holds it down. When they are outside I use the long 1x2 and 2 smaller pieces to hold any escape routes down.

Here are a few pics. They are pretty simple setups but seem to work well. The first is what I have my only WC tavetana left in:eek::( She seems healthy as can be though! She isnt full grown or I would have a taller cage for her. She went into this one when she got here and has adjusted well so I will be keeping her in it untill she gets a little bigger. Also, dont mind the mess. I have switched rooms again and its not so organized at the moment:eek:

Picture11314.jpg

Here is a 6 cube enclosure that I raised the panthers from last year in. I have a few of these and they work pretty well. I just have a "flip top" and its much easier like that for cleaning. These pics are with the tavs in them. Again pretty simple;)

Picture11316.jpg

And a shot of just one of the cubes.
Picture11032.jpg

very crafty!! I love this!!!

Thanks Debbie!!!!!:D I am usually a little embarassed to post my home made cages:eek: I am a plumber not a carpenter;) They do what I need them to do though!!!!

Here are a few pics of the male again:) 3.5 months almost.

Picture11319.jpg

Picture11318.jpg

Picture11320.jpg

Picture11317.jpg

wow, if you could get him to be a lighter color, he would look identical to that famous "one horned Mitsio" lol. ur guys are awesome Cainschams.

I think they just keep getting cuter! I like the hatchling setup too. I am always a fan of things that are uniform and easy to clean. :)

Back
Top Bottom