3 month old veiled eating problems help!

dastone181

i have a young male veiled probably around 3 months old, he eats about 6 crickets a day that i see, i think he eats more when im not around but i dont know cause the crickets seem to get out of the cup i feed them in after about 15 min..i have a large cage for the lil bugger so thats why i cup feed him, im thinking of getting a larger tuppaware and getting it hang/mount to the higher end of the enclosure(where the feeding cup is now) because i want to be able to better accurate how many hes eating..how many SHOULD he be eating a day by the way?

i have a young male veiled probably around 3 months old, he eats about 6 crickets a day that i see, i think he eats more when im not around but i dont know cause the crickets seem to get out of the cup i feed them in after about 15 min..i have a large cage for the lil bugger so thats why i cup feed him, im thinking of getting a larger tuppaware and getting it hang/mount to the higher end of the enclosure(where the feeding cup is now) because i want to be able to better accurate how many hes eating..how many SHOULD he be eating a day by the way?

for 3 mo, i say around 12 to 18 small crix/day dusted w/ supplements.

how large is your cage? it should really only be 24*24*24 at the largest for a 3 month old veiled. to big of a cage could be to much for your little guy if that is the problem. try getting some small silkworms, my guy as well as other chameleons love those worms. silkworms are an also a great stable diet and better than crickets.

also with the crickets you may want to let a few free roam around the cage to stimulate you little guy, and not just put them in the feeder cup. it is common that they will become bored of the food in the feeder dish quicker than if it was to free roam around the set up. anyways good luck with your little guy!

Last edited:
how large is your cage? it should really only be 24*24*24 at the largest for a 3 month old veiled. to big of a cage could be to much for your little guy if that is the problem. try getting some small silkworms, my guy as well as other chameleons love those worms. silkworms are an also a great stable diet and better than crickets.

also with the crickets you may want to let a few free roam around the cage to stimulate you little guy, and not just put them in the feeder cup. it is common that they will become bored of the food in the feeder dish quicker than if it was to free roam around the set up. anyways good luck with your little guy!
well i would, but you see the cage is pretty damn big haha, and i was told if i just watch him eat i should be fine, he seems to love the crickets when im not there, ill try and mount a bigger cricket feeder cup to the side so they cant escape and he can eat easily...and for cage size id say 2 and a half feet up. 1 and a half feet back, and 2 and a half feet long? thats my guess, he seems to love it though i got a ficus and some fake plants/vines in there

Last edited:
I've tried cup feeding crickets. If they can escape from the cricket keeper I store them in, they will surely escape inside a cage. I usually hand feed him about 4 or 5 crickets and then let him go find his mealies. I went to vacuum around my study today and found dead crickets everywhere! I'm just glad I'm not using adults!

Back
Top Bottom