2different chams

Kameleone

hello.

is it possible to have 2 different chameleons in 1cage?
(Jackson chameleon and panther chameleon. both male)

I'm not sure either I was pretty sure I read that somewhere, and as far as I know they are the only species you can house together.

you can put multiple pygmy chameleons together you can put up to 3 females and 1 male in a 10 gallon from what ive read i have 2 females and 1 male in an 18x18x18 enclosure

I think only pygmies.

I have had a R Kerstenii female in with 1.2 R Nchisiensis for about 2 months whilst the new viv's bioactive substrate was getting established. No signs of stress, agression from any of them.

They are now separated (but still keep in touch via email....)

when i bought jp he was housed with a female jackson, could i ever bring home a hott lady for him to live with?;)

It seems like a lot of people have been asking this same question lately! There are certain chameleons that can live together in groups if a lot of space is available. For instance mellers can live together in a large free range, panthers can live together In a very large free range though it's not reccommended unless you know what to look for with stress and aggressiveness, pygmies can as well and I'm sure there are many more. But it's best to house each and every chameleon separately, they'll be much happier alone.

A panther and a jacksons cannot live together at all. Two different species of chameleon that require different temp/ humidity needs as well as a few other different husbandry needs.

It seems like a lot of people have been asking this same question lately! There are certain chameleons that can live together in groups if a lot of space is available. For instance mellers can live together in a large free range, panthers can live together In a very large free range though it's not reccommended unless you know what to look for with stress and aggressiveness, pygmies can as well and I'm sure there are many more. But it's best to house each and every chameleon separately, they'll be much happier alone.

Best answer so far... People talking much about keeping Rhampholeons together but the same people never writing about keeping Rhampholeons SUCCESSFULL for a longer period. A couple of weeks is not long. In some cases it can work but you must have luck, animals which should live together since they hatched and lots of experience.
The only species which lives perfectly in groups is Archaius tigris, but this one is not available in the US.

I know that jacksons can but it's not the greatest idea.

This is too broad a statement to make. Most of the time two jax will not do well in the same cage unless it is huge....like half a room or a greenhouse. Jax may not be as physically aggressive to each other as panthers or veileds, but they do break down with health problems such as temporal gland infections that are very difficult to cure! Why put your chams through that?

A panther and a jacksons cannot live together at all. Two different species of chameleon that require different temp/ humidity needs as well as a few other different husbandry needs.

Newbies usually have no idea what we mean when we say "a lot of space" or "very large cages". To most of them a large cage is 2x3x4 foot because they compare it to the typical lizard or snake tank setup. When I say "a lot of space" I mean free ranging in a room or a greenhouse. When I say "very large cage" I mean a minimum size of 4x5x5 or 5x6x6 foot, or again, a small greenhouse.

You are right...those different species would have to be from nearly the same exact type of habitat and climate for it to even be possible. And, every cham is an individual...some are a lot more tolerant than others even within the same species.

when i bought jp he was housed with a female jackson, could i ever bring home a hott lady for him to live with?;)

The hott lady could be in the same room, but should only be housed with jp for mating. Separate cages the rest of the time. Even if they did happen to get along in a VERY LARGE CAGE together you would have to separate them anyway if she becomes gravid. She will not tolerate a male then.

This is too broad a statement to make. Most of the time two jax will not do well in the same cage unless it is huge....like half a room or a greenhouse. Jax may not be as physically aggressive to each other as panthers or veileds, but they do break down with health problems such as temporal gland infections that are very difficult to cure! Why put your chams through that?

Where have all the experienced and knowledged people gone lately!? UGH! I just took a break from all the same generic questions when someone can use the search function simple as that.. Search function.. I guess it's not flashing with color asking to be used? :rolleyes::confused:

Where have all the experienced and knowledged people gone lately!? UGH! I just took a break from all the same generic questions when someone can use the search function simple as that.. Search function.. I guess it's not flashing with color asking to be used? :rolleyes::confused:

Too many people just want simple answers...they don't understand that there often aren't any. They also want the instant quick fix...without spending their own time. That's why we hear "where's a good care sheet" instead of reading a book.

+1..the only times ive had chams together are the same species usually two or three females to one male, in LARGE free range set ups..never cross species..

Back
Top Bottom