1st DIY Enclosure

Amazing, amazing, amazing. I really want to custom build a cage too but I don't know the first thing about any of it. Maybe if I keep looking at posts like this it'll help me figure out what to do lol.

Thank you, it was my first time. Dooo eeet!

what did you use to stick the coconut fiber to the foam?

After the foam dried I painted on Brown GEII silicone and then sprinkled a generous amount of coconut fiber on top while it was still wet while applying a little bit of pressure to make sure it stuck. Wear gloves.

Really like what you've done here mate! Got a few questions if you don't mind as I'm about to start something similar myself. Do you have any idea if the coco fibre will end up going off and mouldy after time? And do you have any idea if the foam and silicone are safe to use in a chameleons enclosure?

KI23, from experience with dart frogs I can tell you that GE 100% silicone (after it completely dries) is safe for animals, just make sure it doesn't have any "anti-mold agents" or stuff like that. I've not heard of coco fiber going moldy in a normal use situation, that's one of its benefits. Dart frog habitats are usually kept just as wet, if not more, than chameleons and they're really sensitive little critters. Lots of folks in that hobby use the coco-over-brown-silicone trick for backgrounds.
That said, I'd love to see an update from Banksy! I've started making my own custom cage and wish I had seen his first, refinishing a cabinet would've been much cheaper, easier, and better looking than going from scratch like I'm attempting!

This is beautiful! I myself am trying to build something similar, in doing research I've heard pros and cons (more cons) about particle board. Have you had any issues? I already have my furniture piece and already put some work into it, trying to hopeful you will respond with some tips/good news. Thank you - again beautiful job!

Back
Top Bottom