1+ year old veiled

dj special k

Is a 2'x2'x4' cage too big for a 1 year old veiled that's a little longer than 1 foot in length? It's taking up a lot of my space in my room and i notice he doesn't even go down to the bottom. I don't wanna get him a smaller cage and then he'll be stressed at how smaller it is. But it just seems like a little waste of space if he doesn't really need all that room. Anyway, I'm looking for something that's 18"x18"x24" or something if anybody wants to trade. I'm in the Los Angeles area.

The smallest I would go with an adult male veiled is 20x20x40(only if it is on a stand to make it eye level).
I keep mine in a 20x22x50 and the rest of my cages are 20x20x52 and one 24x30x50.

I wouldn't move him to a smaller cage. I realize how much space 24X24X48's take up as my male Veileds is on one and my Oustalets are soon to be in 2 more, but think of the fact these animals would usually live in huge trees with endless room to move and we stick them in cages-the bigger the better. It is like sticking a big dog in the bathroom for their entire life.

True... I'll stick with it then. thanks for the reminder on how big their natural habitat would be on the tree thing. I have three cages in my room wating for my auto mister to be installed. So I was just kinda wondering what the best set up would be so I don't have to rearrange my cages again after i set up the mister.

Good idea. I was thinking about that, But my set up is heavy. I have my cage and I have one of those cement containers that fit perfectly around my cage. So i have two cages that are 18"x18" that sit in each cement container. I drilled holes at the bottom of the cage so water drips into it. The only thing is, i had to add bricks in the cement container so that the cage sits higher for me to open the cage. I'll add pictures in a little bit. Basically it's too heavy to create a new shelving for it.

I think you need to figure out a different way to drain your cages....

I am not saying what I did is how everyone should do it... but i works well.

IMG_6545RS.jpg

That rack is 86" tall 60" wide and 24" deep. It seems massive but the footprint is a lot less than how I had my cages before.

Hmm.. i like your set up. I can't really see how you set up your drainage though. Care to ellaborate? Where do you buy a rack like yours?

Hmm.. i like your set up. I can't really see how you set up your drainage though. Care to ellaborate? Where do you buy a rack like yours?

There are holes in the PVC bottom of the cage. the plant creates a concave or dip in the plastic causing the water to run out the holes I made. The water then drips between the wire mesh of the rack.

IMG_6491RS.jpg

The water then falls onto a shower curtain. I cut the curtain so that it hangs lower at one end and gravity does the work for you. Then there is a 5 gallon bucket at the end that the water drips into.

IMG_6478RS.jpg

to secure the curtain to the rack I folded over the edge and ran a wire through. then made little slits where I could push zip-ties through.

IMG_6480RS.jpg

I purchased that rack at my work. It is not cheap when paying full retail. BUT it is a very nice rack and made things VERY simple.

Link

We are located in Lake Forest so you can save on shipping (i think it ships freight... not cheap)

Back
Top Bottom