Generic “is this normal” post

T.O.23

Hello, ive had this veiled chameleon for 5 months now- saved from having a gross pet co life! Also not sure on gender considering i see so many different pictures.

The Cham is in the zoo med 24x24x48 with good plant and wood structuring. Proper uvb and heat plus space heater as needed. Hydration is good with daily and nightly misting.

Just wanted to know if these camo styles are a sign of distress or just basic chilling/blending in with environment.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8125.jpeg
    IMG_8125.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 5
Hello, ive had this veiled chameleon for 5 months now- saved from having a gross pet co life! Also not sure on gender considering i see so many different pictures.

The Cham is in the zoo med 24x24x48 with good plant and wood structuring. Proper uvb and heat plus space heater as needed. Hydration is good with daily and nightly misting.

Just wanted to know if these camo styles are a sign of distress or just basic chilling/blending in with environment.

Thank you in advance!
Hello hello! Welcome! Those colors indicate that you have a beautiful girl and that she is receptive, which means she will most likely lay eggs soon! Female veiled chameleons have the ability to lay eggs without males being around.
First and most important, if you haven’t already you need to set up a lay bin. To start here is an amazing blog on female egg laying and setting up a lay bin!
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/
IMG_3337.jpeg

Last edited:
Secondly, could you fill out this husbandry form so we can make sure your girl has everything she needs?

A full photo of her enclosure and any more of her would be amazing!
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

I just have to jump in here and say that she is gorgeous! I’d love to see more pics of her and her enclosure. With our sweet girls it’s extra important to have all of our husbandry as perfect as possible to help prevent problems with egg laying.

Welcome to the forum. Along with everything other members have mentioned… your girl has MBD. It visible in that front right leg. Supplements and or uvb lighting being used are not adequate which is what causes MBD. The curve to the bone in the arm is not normal which is how the visible signs present. If you fill out the husbandry review then we can help you further.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled, Female, and must be a teen. How long has it been in your care? 5 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Almost everyday with feeding for comfortability.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Feeding about 10-15 dubia a day with a mix of meal worms (not as much for a special snack) I'm gutloadng with a regular gut loading nutrition cube. Also ido crickets too.

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
I used calcium dust with d3 by zoo med its called repti calcium. Dusting my feeders every other day because I know too much d 3 is actually bad for chams.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Watering is by hand now but typically a full spray bottle of room temp refreshing temp water. Once in the day maybe twice but at night I do a lot of soraying so she can absorb it as she breathes during sleep time.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Fecal is normal in texture to show hydration and on a normal schedule as well. It hasn't been tested but will.look into it.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Just saved her as a juvenile from pet co- her enclosure was sad and oily had a desk light as her heat

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Zoo med 24x24x48 screen enclosure with cardboard on the back and side to insulate heat because it's the mesh screen cage.

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I'm using zoo med everything for lighting. Right now she has a 26w UVB 100 light. And her basking light is a 80 w regular zoo med day time light. Both in dome fixtures.

Tomorrow me and my girlfriend are going to get a legit light bar UVB 5.0 zoo med set up so she has a really good UVB set up. I’m also going to get a better daytime bulb but she’s been pretty good with what we have now.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Temp for basking is 80-85 with 40% humidity in the daytime. Lowest overnight temp is around 65-70 degrees so pretty good and cool. I measure with a digital thermometer and hydrometer.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Stated above, daytime 40% night time 70-80 %.
Live plants include money tree, palm, skinned sticks from my backyard (washed and skinned).
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
So the cage is currently on the floor I know it’s not ideal but we also give her free roam time on our inside hanging pathos plants, which she loves to be active on and hang out on. Seems to love it a lot.
I’m in New Jersey so I know I’m in a colder climate in the winter seasons so heat is deff a priority for my female Cham. I even run a space heater to make sure she’s super safe and spoiled lolol.

Thank you for taking the time to help me and any recommendations I would love. Just please don’t be judgy or heavily opinionated because I’m on here for help and not to be made fun of.

Thank you and trying to care for her as best as possible.

Best,

T.O.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Veiled, Female, and must be a teen. How long has it been in your care? 5 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Almost everyday with feeding for comfortability.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Feeding about 10-15 dubia a day with a mix of meal worms (not as much for a special snack) I'm gutloadng with a regular gut loading nutrition cube. Also ido crickets too.

I used calcium dust with d3 by zoo med its called repti calcium. Dusting my feeders every other day because I know too much d 3 is actually bad for chams.
Watering is by hand now but typically a full spray bottle of room temp refreshing temp water. Once in the day maybe twice but at night I do a lot of soraying so she can absorb it as she breathes during sleep time.
Fecal is normal in texture to show hydration and on a normal schedule as well. It hasn't been tested but will.look into it.
Just saved her as a juvenile from pet co- her enclosure was sad and oily had a desk light as her heat

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Zoo med 24x24x48 screen enclosure with cardboard on the back and side to insulate heat because it's the mesh screen cage.

I'm using zoo med everything for lighting. Right now she has a 26w UVB 100 light. And her basking light is a 80 w regular zoo med day time light. Both in dome fixtures.

Tomorrow me and my girlfriend are going to get a legit light bar UVB 5.0 zoo med set up so she has a really good UVB set up. I’m also going to get a better daytime bulb but she’s been pretty good with what we have now.
Temp for basking is 80-85 with 40% humidity in the daytime. Lowest overnight temp is around 65-70 degrees so pretty good and cool. I measure with a digital thermometer and hydrometer.
Live plants include money tree, palm, skinned sticks from my backyard (washed and skinned).
So the cage is currently on the floor I know it’s not ideal but we also give her free roam time on our inside hanging pathos plants, which she loves to be active on and hang out on. Seems to love it a lot.
I’m in New Jersey so I know I’m in a colder climate in the winter seasons so heat is deff a priority for my female Cham. I even run a space heater to make sure she’s super safe and spoiled lolol.

Thank you for taking the time to help me and any recommendations I would love. Just please don’t be judgy or heavily opinionated because I’m on here for help and not to be made fun of.

Best,

T.O.

Attachments

• IMG_8129.jpeg
    IMG_8129.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to the forum. Along with everything other members have mentioned… your girl has MBD. It visible in that front right leg. Supplements and or uvb lighting being used are not adequate which is what causes MBD. The curve to the bone in the arm is not normal which is how the visible signs present. If you fill out the husbandry review then we can help you further.
Damn that stinks to hear. She fell for the first time today but her limbs look in tact and functional. As when I got her. I’ll continue to supplement, and gut load and get a better uvb set up. Any other recommendations?

Damn that stinks to hear. She fell for the first time today but her limbs look in tact and functional. As when I got her. I’ll continue to supplement, and gut load and get a better uvb set up. Any other recommendations?
Welcome to you both and we are glad you are here! My guy had MBD when I got him from improper care from prior owners. I’d say only being with you 5 months, and it showing in her legs, it’s not initially due to your care. (There are some improvements that could be made, but I’ll let @Ghostbirb cover that in the review. ) find a good reptile vet and get her seen. They should prescribe liquid calcium. This will bring her levels back to normal. With time, she will regain strength. Bends in the legs will be present from now on, but she can recover. With her being female, she will use even more calcium to make eggs.

This is very important and can not be put off, and she needs to be seen asap. We have a vet list if you need help finding one in your area.

We usually talk (or type) a lot around here because we love chameleons, so ill break this up into two sections. My feedback will be in bold.
Looking at your girl, I would guess that she may be around a year old? Maybe someone can chime in on what they think her age is. She is such a pretty girl! As I said above, some species of chameleons can lay eggs without mating (kind of like chickens). Female veiled are very well known for their overcharged bodies where they can lay almost 100 eggs super young, so we want to have their husbandry to be spot on so we can reduce that egg amount as much as we can.

So, chameleons are very shy creatures and often don't do well with constant handling. They are pets that are more look and don't touch, similar to fish, they often don't like being handled. But it is a good idea to at least earn their trust, here is a good blog on building trust with chameleons if you want to check it out. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

With how old your girl looks, my guess is around a year old or close to a year old, you want to be feeding her 3-5 appropriately sized bugs 2-3 times a week. For example, I feed my girl every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Chameleons are prone to obesity, and it can be very dangerous with females because large fat pads can cause issues with laying eggs. Looking at your girl I would say she doesn't seem overweight as her casks and cheeks are appropriate size, but you will want to cut back on her feeding amount, especially since she is starting to produce eggs. As for what you should be feeding, Dubias are great! I would suggest a little more variety (i'll attach a chart on what you can feed your chameleon below), as it's suspected that a high diet in Dubia roaches could be connected with chameleons getting gout. Also mealworms unfortunately are not suggested as they can cause impaction, but some other good treat bugs are waxworms! I see you are also gut loading your bugs, amazing! I'll attach a chart below on good gut loading as well!

You are correct that too much d3 is bad for chams, but unfortunately you are still giving her too much. Correct supplementation for chameleons is Calcium without D3 every day and a multivitamin and D3 given twice a month. Here are links to two of the main supplements that many of us use: Repti Calcium without D3 and Repetitive with D3 (this is a vitamin with d3 that you can give twice a month).
Watering is by hand now but typically a full spray bottle of room temp refreshing temp water. Once in the day maybe twice but at night I do a lot of spraying so she can absorb it as she breathes during sleep time.
This is a good start, we would suggest misting 2-3 minutes right as lights come on and right as they go off, then periodically if needed for humidity. I'm just going to add in case you don't know, chameleons are shy drinking so if you don't often see your girl drink, don't freak out.

Yay! It seems you already know this, but I'll just add that you can tell hydration levels through chameleon poop, mainly white urates with a little bit of orange is good hydration, and mainly orange urates is poor hydration. Also, it's always a good idea to get a fecal test for your chameleon to check for parasites.

Poor baby, I wish pet stores didn't sell chameleons or at least had a lot more accurate information and care for chameleons but unfortunately, they don't.

3phyHMIwxeDwo9M-gDPVKKMdtFBNV05rN55inYrcjksx3JerxYlhsq9jYI-GAQSPlwtISwN1OuFOyUOsugwkzVkLrcQw6GRaaegML60rQJcRdyUVoXNoQZybBPshdgrUk9L-N9wUlLoQpdJ31xXlJZI
TSV64Tfdn_1dJXquIlzZGRX3aNZSED__Zx6EmZTiS3SCiDApYV2PCC3pxPtf5xYu-PTxUeehcwlsXI7WslP4bzL8LPrVw-roI08eD2bMCVHjjFiOeovaxomhMo8p3OCzjuCDywVlbe7gCXYbg9_o50g

Cage Info:
Perfect size! Looking at the enclosure I would say that you should add more branches and plants. Branches are like highways for chameleons, so you will want them all over the enclosure so you chameleon can get around comfortably. Plants help your chameleon feel safe and secure. I'll share a photo of my cage and one of our safe plants listed below.

Is that a lay bin in the back right corner of her cage? What are the dimensions and sand you are using?

I just typed out a while response to your first paragraph before realizing there was a second. Awesome! So glad you are getting the proper uvb bulb!
Your temps are a little high, you will want basking to be 80 degrees max, one way you can decrease it is by raising your basking bulb a few inches above the enclosure top.
Perfect Perfect Perfect!!!!!
Awesome! As I stated above, you will want to add a few more plants and sticks to the enclosure, and I'll attach one of the safe plant lists below. If you have any fake plants in the enclosure, you will want to remove them as veiled chameleons, especially the females, are well known for eating their plants, and we don't want them to get impacted by eating plastic materials.
I would strongly suggest raising her enclosure off the ground as Height=Safety for chameleons.

You are off to an amazing start with just some things to fix up! You seem to know a few good things already about chameleons and I'm proud of that, (like how perfect your humidity is). Many of us on the forum started off similar to you, so we understand how it feels to learn and grow with our chameleons. I don't remember if I said this but Welcome to the forums, we are excited to have another chameleon on here! If you haven't found them already, Chameleon Academy and Neptune the Chameleon on youtube are amazing resources to learn more on chameleon care.
I would also agree with @Gloriawood, you might want to see a vet to make sure you girl is all good and healthy especially if she is showing signs of mbd. Here is our vet list, hopefully you can find one near you. https://www.chameleonforums.com/attachments/chameleon-forums-vet-list-2024-u-s-a-pdf.353710/

If I missed anything I'm sure other keepers will chime in :)
Welcome to both you, your girlfriend and your chameleon!
What is your sweet chameleon's name?
If you have any more questions just let us know!

Best,

T.O.
EgYj2e-axDJkND6daRvgPzHcbSqYtNx3mSAgw9HEJDjFIPF-e-EGV8wqoX6tGNKJzsrhMKjYJd6hdTzrdAEraI1fTi273kpiaHeKTflJz5_0a3o6N6SJr6dKrs0yRjDzPNy7IJLWzPtGyvTo8gvxX3E
1714876198034.png
1714876220081.png

@Ghostbirb gave you excellent advice on giving your pretty girl the very best of care. I’m just wanting to offer some suggestions on how branches and such can be attached to screen enclosures. The whole trick is to use the frame to carry the weight. There are Dragon Ledges, which are just amazing and I love love love! https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ In times when I didn’t have Dragon Ledges, I used some scrap garden trellis which has actually become my go to now. I attach it to the frame using thin but strong wires and to prevent it from sliding down, I add a couple of small screws to the frame to attach some of the wires to. While not as sturdy as Dragon Ledges, it does a good job of holding branches, vines and even a couple of plants. Another way is to make an ‘H’ scaffolding from branches that you can attach to the frame with the thin wires. You just need to be careful about the placement by the door so that you don’t prevent the door from being able to close properly. I use real branches that I’ve scavenged. Just avoid any from trees which have saps or odors, like pine and eucalyptus. Give a little scrub to clean with dish soap, rinse very well and let dry in the sun. No need to bleach, bake or remove bark or anything like that. I even keep the lichen that doesn’t scrub off easily on mine. Giving some pics for inspiration. :)

With Dragon Ledges
IMG_1444.jpeg

With garden trellis
IMG_5616.jpeg IMG_5883.jpeg

*I have substrate only because I have complete bioactive set ups.

Hi so I actually followed the popular girl on YouTube by taking the branches like you have they are tied up through the mesh inside of each corner with fishing line to keep them up. I will get more sticks I just got what I could and had to skin like 6 full tree branches in my sink lolol. I’ll definitely add more thank you .

Cage Info:
Perfect size! Looking at the enclosure I would say that you should add more branches and plants. Branches are like highways for chameleons, so you will want them all over the enclosure so you chameleon can get around comfortably. Plants help your chameleon feel safe and secure. I'll share a photo of my cage and one of our safe plants listed below.

Is that a lay bin in the back right corner of her cage? What are the dimensions and sand you are using?

I just typed out a while response to your first paragraph before realizing there was a second. Awesome! So glad you are getting the proper uvb bulb!
Your temps are a little high, you will want basking to be 80 degrees max, one way you can decrease it is by raising your basking bulb a few inches above the enclosure top.
Perfect Perfect Perfect!!!!!
Awesome! As I stated above, you will want to add a few more plants and sticks to the enclosure, and I'll attach one of the safe plant lists below. If you have any fake plants in the enclosure, you will want to remove them as veiled chameleons, especially the females, are well known for eating their plants, and we don't want them to get impacted by eating plastic materials.
I would strongly suggest raising her enclosure off the ground as Height=Safety for chameleons.

You are off to an amazing start with just some things to fix up! You seem to know a few good things already about chameleons and I'm proud of that, (like how perfect your humidity is). Many of us on the forum started off similar to you, so we understand how it feels to learn and grow with our chameleons. I don't remember if I said this but Welcome to the forums, we are excited to have another chameleon on here! If you haven't found them already, Chameleon Academy and Neptune the Chameleon on youtube are amazing resources to learn more on chameleon care.
I would also agree with @Gloriawood, you might want to see a vet to make sure you girl is all good and healthy especially if she is showing signs of mbd. Here is our vet list, hopefully you can find one near you. https://www.chameleonforums.com/attachments/chameleon-forums-vet-list-2024-u-s-a-pdf.353710/

If I missed anything I'm sure other keepers will chime in :)
Welcome to both you, your girlfriend and your chameleon!
What is your sweet chameleon's name?
If you have any more questions just let us know!

Best,

T.O.
EgYj2e-axDJkND6daRvgPzHcbSqYtNx3mSAgw9HEJDjFIPF-e-EGV8wqoX6tGNKJzsrhMKjYJd6hdTzrdAEraI1fTi273kpiaHeKTflJz5_0a3o6N6SJr6dKrs0yRjDzPNy7IJLWzPtGyvTo8gvxX3E
View attachment 354882View attachment 354883
Thank you so much for detailing my Cham and environment! Also THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME DURING THIS TIME THIS FORUM ROCKS.

Cham name is = Milkshake (Billy and Mandy inspired lol)

Getting her looked at by a local vet making some calls today.

Y’all are the best and thank you I will update you with all of the tips you gave me.

Thank you so much for detailing my Cham and environment! Also THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME DURING THIS TIME THIS FORUM ROCKS.

Cham name is = Milkshake (Billy and Mandy inspired lol)

Getting her looked at by a local vet making some calls today.

Y’all are the best and thank you I will update you with all of the tips you gave me.
Omggg I love that name!!! 😍 please keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom