First chameleon have a few concerns

Cod105

So I just got a nosey be chameleon 5 days roughly 12” long, at first he seemed ok but now he is closing eyes during light hrs, he just had a slimy poop( I believe it was poop) it was super wet and gooey, different then his first one. But he ate a horn worm right after. He seems a little sluggish. Something doesn’t seem right. Although this is my first one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 3
Can you post some more pics of him from different angles? He does not look well at all. My concern just because of the slimy fecal and his overall appearance would be a high parasite load. I am not sure where you got him from but he does not look to be a nosy be to me at all. Coloring that he is showing is totally different. Regardless you want to get him and a fecal into a reptile vet asap. you want a vet that knows reptiles at the very least.

Can you post some more pics of him from different angles? He does not look well at all. My concern just because of the slimy fecal and his overall appearance would be a high parasite load. I am not sure where you got him from but he does not look to be a nosy be to me at all. Coloring that he is showing is totally different. Regardless you want to get him and a fecal into a reptile vet asap. you want a vet that knows reptiles at the very least.

Attachments

• IMG_7490.jpeg
    IMG_7490.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7491.jpeg
    IMG_7491.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7489.jpeg
    IMG_7489.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 3
Not sure if you already have a reptile vet with chameleon care experience but here is our vet list for you just in case!

Attachments

• Chameleon Forums Vet List 2024 U.S.A..pdf
    157 KB · Views: 4
Backwater isn’t known for selling healthy animals or offering any support after they sell the animals. You most definitely need a vet visit asap with a fresh fecal sample for testing.

Backwater isn’t known for selling healthy animals or offering any support after they sell the animals. You most definitely need a vet visit asap with a fresh fecal sample for testing.
Yup I should have done my research about them. I am calling tomorrow and getting him in as soon as I can. I should have took more time. Hopefully I can save him.

Yup I should have done my research about them. I am calling tomorrow and getting him in as soon as I can. I should have took more time. Hopefully I can save him.
I just hope you can get him healthy. Poor guy. Praying for him and fingers crossed too. 🙏🤞

Hopefully the vet can figure out what is going on. He does not look good at all so getting him in with someone experienced would be really important.

Do you have other reptiles? If you do then do not cross contaminate anything and make sure you are washing your hands.
So he pooped on the way there for me which worked out. The doctor did a smear test and said he saw floaters? So he gave me this oral medicine and he sent the other stool out and I will know the final results tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_7502.jpeg
    IMG_7502.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7503.jpeg
    IMG_7503.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 5
So he pooped on the way there for me which worked out. The doctor did a smear test and said he saw floaters? So he gave me this oral medicine and he sent the other stool out and I will know the final results tomorrow.
Perfect so depending on the actual type of parasite the medication may need to be adjusted. Also how you clean will depend on the parasite so let us know what the fecal results come back as.

I see mention of giardia on your receipt and that is one of the parasites that metronidazole is used for. If that is what he has, you will need to do a very thorough cleaning of his entire enclosure and replace all porous items, like branches, vines and afraid all the plants will have to be tossed out. I took the enclosure completely apart and outside to clean first with veterinary disinfectant f10, rinsed and dried in the sun and then did a second cleaning with bleach water. I don’t recall the ratio I used, but it was probably stronger than needed. I even used a small brush to gently clean the screen. Rinsed the heck out of it and then again, dried in the sun. Use disposable or fake plants and things until you get a totally clear recheck.

I see mention of giardia on your receipt and that is one of the parasites that metronidazole is used for. If that is what he has, you will need to do a very thorough cleaning of his entire enclosure and replace all porous items, like branches, vines and afraid all the plants will have to be tossed out. I took the enclosure completely apart and outside to clean first with veterinary disinfectant f10, rinsed and dried in the sun and then did a second cleaning with bleach water. I don’t recall the ratio I used, but it was probably stronger than needed. I even used a small brush to gently clean the screen. Rinsed the heck out of it and then again, dried in the sun. Use disposable or fake plants and things until you get a totally clear recheck.
Is that if he has it? Either way I will totally clean the whole cage

Back
Top Bottom