Sudden behaviour change worries me...

Xepera

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon – Veiled male 9 months of age. In my care from 5 months up.
Handling – I handle my cham whenever he wants to come out. He's unusually friendly and comes running to me whenever I walk by. I never force him or take him from his enclosure, he'll climb to my hand if he wants to. He has three free-range areas where I usually take him.
Feeding – Crickets and superworms nowadays. We have dubias too, but he refuses to eat them. Sometimes we give mealies too. He eats about three big or medium bugs a day (doesn't want more). Gutloads: grain, fish flakes, carrot, zuccini, bok choi, salads, paprika...
Supplements - Plain calsium carbonate 5 times a week, Nutrobal once a week, Reptivite once every other week. If he eats very little bugs we give supplements hidden in his favourite food paprika. I dont know if it's a good idea. Please comment.
Watering – Dripper is running 11 hours a day, misting 2 times a day (sometimes 3). I have never seen him drink before, but nowadays he sometimes licks the leaves and that gave me an idea to try to drip water from a special bottle to a leaf near him. Nowadays he drinks from there every day too. I'd be worried about him being dehydrated and thats why changing his behaviour, but urate is ok etc.
Fecal Description – Normal dark poo and whitish urate. Poops every morning after basking. Never tested for parasites.
History – He had 3 weird poos the week before. Those were harder and lighter brown. I quess he had eaten from the flower pots and I added more rocks to the surface. There was a problem with his tarsal spur, but it's healed now.

Cage Info:
Cage Type – 78 x 55 x 28 in (200 x 140 x 70 cm) wooden enclosure with class doors and mesh top + proper ventilation on both sides.
Lighting – Basking spot Sun glo tight beam 75 W, 2 x Reptisun 5.0 + Arcadia natural sun light (dark winters...). All lights have been changed a month ago.
Temperature – Cage floor temp. 21oC, basking spot about 39oC. Two thermo-hygrometers
Plants – 4 big live plants + fake plants/vines. Dracaena marginata, ficus benjamina, Schefflera arboricola, pothos.
Placement – Enclosure is placed at our study, which is used frequently but it's not a high traffic area.
Location – Helsinki, Finland. Snowy and cold here...

Current Problem – My active, brisk, curious and friendly cham hasn't been himself lately. The day before yesterday he was ok, wanted to come outside and all that. But yesterday when he woke up he just stayed at his sleeping spot, didn't seem to want to go bask or anything. My hubbie eventually gave him a lift to the basking spot where he stayed literally for the whole day. He jolted as a warning if I approached and really wanted to be left alone. Very unusual! He ate when we offered him food, drank too, but seemed very grumpy. Today the situation seems to be the same. Is he ill? Could it be because of the ongoing shedding? He seems to be very slow and inactive with that. The casque has been shedding for ages and I havent seen him scratch at all.

This photo was taken last weekend, when he was grumpy for a good reason: I went to his room before his morning poop. That's usually the only reason for him to behave this way.
30112010_grumpy_morning.jpg

Is your weather changing at all and are the temps in your house different? I live in Florida and we are now just getting some cold weather down here. Our house is way colder in the morning and I have noticed for the past few days when my cham wakes up he stays in the same spot for quite awhile before moving. Ususally he is moving right after he awakes. It is just an idea of maybe what it could be. As far as paprika, It is something I would never feed my chameleon, but that is just my opinion. i know it is made from crushed red peppers but I read the label on mine and it says it contains silicone dioxide which is a mineral and not sure if you could overdose on something like that. I have to say, your chameleon looks very healthy in the picture.

Thaks for your advice.

My bad! I thought that since you use the word paprika too it would mean the same thing, but the one I feed my guy is bell pepper / red pepper / capsicum...

I think the weather has something to do with him slowing down a bit in general, which can be seen as you described (not moving to basking spot right away). But I think that if the cham has been awake for like an hour and a half he should really start moving towards the basking spot or somethings wrong.

Just keep a close on him, but if he is eating, drinking, etc. then I don't think I would worry all too much. Mine has been sitting for awhile also before he makes his move. I think sometimes we over analyze everything with these guys and end up worrying ourselves for nothing!!!

i noticed when we turned our heating up that our baby veiled started moving around his cage more even though it barely made any difference to his temps.

*sigh of relief*
It was only the beginning of his shed! He's fine now, back to himself. Now you can see the white spots of loose skin before it begins to crack and fall off.

Back
Top Bottom