Pot and planter sizing

Delef3

Hello eveyone! I have been slowly getting all my supplies together for my Dragon Strand large atrium enclosure, which comes tomorrow. My panther chameleon is scheduled for delivery next Thursday. I have bought most of my plants and am wondering about pot and planter sizing. I know Bill Strand has mentioned using one gallon plastic landscaping pots to transfer the plants into once washed etc. What size pots do you guys use as the "permanent" mounted pots. I am looking at some more aesthetically pleasing and heavier plastic ones, but wasnt sure of the size. I am also going to mount a planter probably along the back wall towards the bottom and am looking for size advice on this as well. Enlcosure is 4'x4'x2'. Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply! So I was already planning on using Bill’s method. My question was about sizing. So you use the 1 gallons for both pots I assume? Anyone have recommendations for a planter size? Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! So I was already planning on using Bill’s method. My question was about sizing. So you use the 1 gallons for both pots I assume? Anyone have recommendations for a planter size? Thanks!
Yes, One is mounted and the other drops into it. So they are the exact same pots. I do not understand what do you mean by planter size? I personally would not use much larger than what I had purchased which was under a gallon I believe. They can take up quite a bit of room the larger you go and not to mention weigh a bit more.

Thanks. By planter I mean a rectangular planter for multiple smaller plants as opposed to a pot. Bill recommended these as well

Thanks. By planter I mean a rectangular planter for multiple smaller plants as opposed to a pot. Bill recommended these as well
Hello! I'll jump in here! The best landscaping pots are the 6" wide ones. The 6" (diameter at the top) are the perfect balance between being able to hold a big bushy pothos and not being an obstruction.

Last edited:
I remember using the rectangular planters as well. That was fun for special ornamental plants (I did a carnivorous plant planter in a cage). You can experiment with all sorts of shapes. Just make sure you do the "hashtag" method where you zip tie two strong vertical branches across the two horizontal DragonLedges and then you can put whatever pot or planter on the strong vertical branches. But just make sure you use plastic pot. Pottery or ceramic adds needless weight.

Hello! I'll jump in here! The best landscaping pots are the 6" wide ones. The 6" (diameter at the top) are the perfect balance between being able to hold a big bushy pothos and not being an obstruction.
Thanks! 6” seems pretty small! I’m looking at them right now. 😬

Thanks! 6” seems pretty small! I’m looking at them right now. 😬
I do understand that this is standard. Some of the plants I got are already established and are pretty big. For example: a Boston fern and a hibiscus. I’m doing a floating style and nothing on the floor. I’m hoping a 6” will hold the weight ok.

Hello eveyone! I have been slowly getting all my supplies together for my Dragon Strand large atrium enclosure, which comes tomorrow. My panther chameleon is scheduled for delivery next Thursday. I have bought most of my plants and am wondering about pot and planter sizing. I know Bill Strand has mentioned using one gallon plastic landscaping pots to transfer the plants into once washed etc. What size pots do you guys use as the "permanent" mounted pots. I am looking at some more aesthetically pleasing and heavier plastic ones, but wasnt sure of the size. I am also going to mount a planter probably along the back wall towards the bottom and am looking for size advice on this as well. Enlcosure is 4'x4'x2'. Thanks in advance

Be careful not to angle them too much. It looks cool, but then it is very hard for the mist system to get any water in them or even to hand water as it will "slide off". Lesson learned here.

Back
Top Bottom