Misting

GinjaNinja

Hello all I have been reading thru and there is so much info it is great! But the one thing I am still not 100% on is misting my lil Veiled girl.
right now I mist her every 4hrs for 30 seconds I use a misting machine and I wonder if that is to much. should I change it? I do have a dripper for her as well
I just want to make sure I am not overdoing it. I do Live in Florida but she is inside any advice is great thank you all!

Its very chameleon personality and environment specific.

For the chameleon, some only drink when the mister is going off, and start right away, others wont start drinking unless its a 3-5min "shower". Others run and hide till the rain stops and then they come out and drink off the leaves.

For environment, the rule is you need to have the cage completely dry out between mistings to prevent mold. Your 30 second mists would be great for my winters every hour to keep the humidity up. However doing that in say Florida would result in wood rotting and mold.

I will have 1 long soak in the morning, 1 long soak for chameleon bed time (2 hours before lights out when they move to the sleeping stick), and i will have 1 final long soak at lights out just to keep humidity up over night. In winter i will have your 30 second mists every hour during the day to keep humidity up, but i dont have those during spring and summer.

Everything is dried up before the next mist goes on, I use an electric mister which I have set to 4 hrs at 30 seconds so would it be better every 8 to 12 hrs at 1 minute then humidity and temp seem to stay the same.

Use the color of urates as your guide (all white). Also the goal is high humidity nights with mist and fog and a thick layer of dew on the plant surfaces during the first couple hours of the morning. Then we typically dry out the cage all day except for occasional dripper or mister sessions based on the urate color. Then a misting session towards the end of the day to kick off the high humidity night.

Back
Top Bottom