Husky Wire Racks

Andrew1283

Chameleon Enthusiast
These racks are amazing but need slight mods to fit two side-by-side XL Reptibreeze enclosures. The problem is the angle irons.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5...-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-N2R482478W5B/319132811

The rack can be stacked 4 shelves tall or you can make two different racks. I prefer the latter.

With some slight mods, you can have 4 XL Reptibreeze cages on really solid wire shelving for just $150.00!

Look at the pictures below. The angle irons stick up in each corner, so you don’t have the full 24” X 48” of shelf space. I used an angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel to cut those angle irons flush with the grate.

The last two photos are before and after. You could also do this with a hack saw if you want to build some muscles. But the angle grinder really cuts the irons down flush and quick.

Attachments

• IMG_6418.jpeg
    IMG_6418.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6421.jpeg
    IMG_6421.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6423.jpeg
    IMG_6423.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6419.jpeg
    IMG_6419.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6422.jpeg
    IMG_6422.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6401.jpeg
    IMG_6401.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6402.jpeg
    IMG_6402.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 12
My mind is blown away!!!! What drain pan did you use?

:) That's a galvanized sheet metal drain pan made to fit. I'm not sure you could walk in somewhere and pull from the shelf but you're local HVAC guys could whip one up for you in no time flat for a very reasonable cost. If I did that part over again I'd have placed the drain hole in it to one end and then propped the opposite end up. Didn't think that through... :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: . Ended up using coroplast to create the elevation inside the pan itself so it funnels it to the center. Then, as can be seen, a tote was placed on the rack below to catch. I have to dump that every 3-4 days.

And since I kinda built this in a bit of hurry, there are somethings that I'll improve upon but it has been functional which was most important at the time. Improvements are slatted for this spring. I've already got all the cork flats to cover the side and back that is currently bare HDPE panel. Also want to relocate the observation cameras.

Last edited:
Learn us of your ways!

Once you look at these racks, you discover the sky is the limit but what really brought me to them was the fact they already have frames for things to sit in, on, or against. Two sides are covered with HDPE panels ( the left side and back side ), the opposite side, the bottom, and the top are screen windows.

On the bottom, you can rest your screen right on top of the wire shelving that comes with it. This keeps the bugs in but lets the water through and also provides support for your plants.

On the top, the opposite is done, screen then wire. Now you've got a good location for your lights and anything else you need up there ( ie dripper ).

Since these are using gravity to hold in place if you ever need to remove them it's super easy.

Since the side and back are hdpe panels you can pretty much affix anything to them with screws, mounting tape, etc...

The front is nothing more than some HD pet screening with gorilla taped perimeter. Then I applied HD outdoor velcro to the frame and front screen and viola you have a fully visible front that is super easy to remove and super light. U can take a corner down, U can take the top half down, U can take the whole thing. W/E you want to do.

These racks are amazing but need slight mods to fit two side-by-side XL Reptibreeze enclosures. The problem is the angle irons.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5...-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-N2R482478W5B/319132811

The rack can be stacked 4 shelves tall or you can make two different racks. I prefer the latter.

With some slight mods, you can have 4 XL Reptibreeze cages on really solid wire shelving for just $150.00!

Look at the pictures below. The angle irons stick up in each corner, so you don’t have the full 24” X 48” of shelf space. I used an angle grinder with a metal cutting wheel to cut those angle irons flush with the grate.

The last two photos are before and after. You could also do this with a hack saw if you want to build some muscles. But the angle grinder really cuts the irons down flush and quick.
I have one of these and the words which came out of my mouth as I was attempting to fit Lucky’s double wide would have burned my boys’ ears, if they had external ears. When the attached enclosures completely slid off and partially broke, well, all ears within a five mile radius should have been burnt to a crisp. I wondered about using the angle grinder on the ends sticking up, but wasn’t sure if that would work.
I also like the idea of using the rack as the enclosure…except the other half is currently in use.

:) That's a galvanized sheet metal drain pan made to fit. I'm not sure you could walk in somewhere and pull from the shelf but you're local HVAC guys could whip one up for you in no time flat for a very reasonable cost. If I did that part over again I'd have placed the drain hole in it to one end and then propped the opposite end up. Didn't think that through... :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes: . Ended up using coroplast to create the elevation inside the pan itself so it funnels it to the center. Then, as can be seen, a tote was placed on the rack below to catch. I have to dump that every 3-4 days.

And since I kinda built this in a bit of hurry, there are somethings that I'll improve upon but it has been functional which was most important at the time.

Once you look at these racks, you discover the sky is the limit but what really brought me to them was the fact they already have frames for things to sit in, on, or against. Two sides are covered with HDPE panels ( the left side and back side ), the opposite side, the bottom, and the top are screen windows.

On the bottom, you can rest your screen right on top of the wire shelving that comes with it. This keeps the bugs in but lets the water through and also provides support for your plants.

On the top, the opposite is done, screen then wire. Now you've got a good location for your lights and anything else you need up there ( ie dripper ).

Since these are using gravity to hold in place if you ever need to remove them it's super easy.

Since the side and back are hdpe panels you can pretty much affix anything to them with screws, mounting tape, etc...

The front is nothing more than some HD pet screening with gorilla taped perimeter. Then I applied HD outdoor velcro to the frame and front screen and viola you have a fully visible front that is super easy to remove and super light. U can take a corner down, U can take the top half down, U can take the whole thing. W/E you want to do.
You can easily set the front of the drain pan’s rack down one hole on each side so all the water drains forward. And put a little shim under the right feet so the water all drains to the front left. Then just put your drain hole in the front left. It can be as small as 1/4” with a bucket under

You can easily set the front of the drain pan’s rack down one hole on each side so all the water drains forward. And put a little shim under the front right foot so the water all drains to the front left. Then just put your drain hole in the front left. It can be as small as 1/4” with a bucket under

Absolutely agree, if I do over I'd actually put a 1/4" wide x 20" long slot along one end. Use the racking systems adjustability to raise the opposite. Only problem, I had already cut several giant holes in the center of the pan. Oh well. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Totally agree with this! My hybrid enclosure sits on the Menards version - Performax. Fortunately, I did not have to cut the sides on mine. The Performax was generally cheaper than the options at HD.

Attachments

• IMG_0857.jpeg
    IMG_0857.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0856.jpeg
    IMG_0856.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 14
Totally agree with this! My hybrid enclosure sits on the Menards version - Performax. Fortunately, I did not have to cut the sides on mine. The Performax was generally cheaper than the options at HD.
I liked the option to "choose" what you want size wise with the Menards version you mentioned! Do you use the tie bars?

I liked the option to "choose" what you want size wise with the Menards version you mentioned! Do you use the tie bars?
Right. You can buy by the piece part and build what you need. The tie bars (cross members) are welded onto the side framing sections. These are not optional. These can be taken away (with care taken to make sure you keep structural integrity) by grinder if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpeg
    IMG_0859.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 16
For the record; I also purchased from Menards but bought the "MuscleRack". In principle, they are the same but there maybe slight differences for which I can't say one way or the other if they would impact someone if they attempted to go down the road I did so YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom