Crucial advice needed!!!

I've put my cham in the shower a couple of times and he was fine. If you bounce the water off the wall it will be fine. The cham might be stressed in the first couple of seconds but he will settle in and start drinking. Many importers shower dehydrated chams that come in from shipments. But if you have a mister, or garden sprayer, it will work better.

No dude, not in that shape. A healthy animal or at least something that grips is something else. You're running a huge risk that animal will just drop off the tree and be too weak to get away from the shower. This is a classic baby steps moment for that animal imo.

No dude, not in that shape. A healthy animal or at least something that grips is something else. You're running a huge risk that animal will just drop off the tree and be too weak to get away from the shower. This is a classic baby steps moment for that animal imo.

Yeah, he's right. If the cham can't grip, then it will not work in the shower. A really fine mist will be better.

At our South Bay Chameleon Keppers meeting a couple of months back Dave Weldon handed out some freezer pops with electrolyte in the mix. I am not sure where he got them. Maybe he will be able to give ya some help. BTW, where are you located?

IMG_8270.jpg

As for misting and lighting. You could maybe use a lower wattage lamp. Use a normal house hold lamp from Home Depot or Ace. Don't buy anything more else from Petco. If you are near Southern California LLL Reptile can get supplies to you fast and sometimes cheap depending on the order size.

You should be sure to get the right kind of UV lamp. Here are some links to items you will find useful.

UV Lamp

UV Fixture

Hand Mister

Dripper[/URL

Last edited:
I actually have to say that I think a trip to the vet could be very useful unless you are equipped to give subq fluids yourself. They are cheap to give, and easy to give once you know how, but giving him a boost with some fluids directly under his skin (on my veiled adult male I can do 3 mls in one spot safely) ... he will get the fluids taht he needs to get himself in the right direction again much more rapidly than relying on him to drink.

Howdy ilibizzyili,

If he/she is still alive and a vet visit isn't "in the cards" then, as was mentioned, 1-2ml (20-30 drops) of (generic) pedialyte (CVS pharmacy has those "pops") mixed 50/50 with warm water given over a few hours would at least begin the re-hydration process while delivering a tiny bit of dextrose (think sugar) along with a few minerals etc. "Ensure" is another liquid product that is easy to find in many stores. In its liquid, it has useable food sources too. The chameleon's system may already be shutdown and may not come back to functioning with what all of us are recommending :(.

One part Brown (when fresh, like a dark sausage with an almost liquidy skin), and the other part would be white, as the norm. If the white part is more orange coloured, it suggests dehydration - which seems likely. There should be little or no smell to the poop.

There's probably a bunch of healthy Poop pictures on this forum to compare to. ;)
Here's a link to one: https://www.chameleonforums.com/poop-15711/

PS I'm impressed and happy that you are doing your best for that chameleon!

Last edited:
also... does anyone think its possible that since he probably drank out of this waterfall thing that was with the cage for years he might have gotten used to it. Than, when i switched it over to this it took him a couple days to adapt... or are they just not that smart?

Sure it takes time to form new habits. It took a week for one of my newest to get the jist of a dripper, but now she prefers it to the misting /leaf droplets that she was previously used to. The other one, a little younger, switched methods almost instantly. So each one is probably a little different in preference and learning, eh?

He drank finally from my drip system!!! Yay!!!

your really are doing a fine job wish there were alot more people like you in the world instead we are flooded with as@$^@#* that throw chameleons in dumpsters keep up the good work i think hes gonna pull threw

I am so glad to hear that he's drinking. You are doing a great job caring for him. Keep up the good work! Jann

Back
Top Bottom