Carpet chameleon ready to lay eggs?

I have a pair of carpet chameleons and they locked up 20 days ago (Aug. 30). The female was 16.31 grams on sept.
IMG20230915183812.jpg

6th, 17 grams on the 15th, and 16.81 grams today. I've haven't seen her eat the last two days and she'll usually eat out of my hand or tongs. I've put her in a warm lay bin the last three days but she just sits in the corner. Does the weight seem right? Is there anything I can do to tell forsure? Ive attached photos and she looks gravid imo.

Hi. Unfortunately I know nothing about carpet chameleons. Is her lay bin not inside of her enclosure? I would think that would be the better placement so she can go to it and use it when she needs rather than you guessing. There is also the matter of stress and if she is not feeling safe enough, she won’t lay. My advice is to put the lay bin inside of her enclosure and give her some privacy. I always cover the bottom or visible part of the enclosure so my girl will feel safer. While she’s actually digging/laying, she will need total privacy. If she sees anyone she may stop digging and risk becoming eggbound.

I could have sworn I already tagged in this thread. Maybe it is a duplicate.

The only people I know that work with the smaller species like this are @javadi and @Mendez but they are not in the forum every day. I have tagged them here so that when they do get on they may be able to offer some help to the OP.

She probably is gravid. Trending weights in small species like this are not always helpful. If you are very confident, you can very carefully palpate her for eggs. This involves lightly moving your fingers together while in contact with her belly. Alternatively, you should be able to see the outlines of an egg or two on her side when she is at rest. 20 days is somewhat early for her to be depositing eggs. 20-30 is a general range so she probably has a few more days before she is ready. For now, probably nothing to worry about. Make sure calcium rich food is being offered regularly along with water and keep placing her in the bin. Usually they will start to appear restless and will cruise around the enclosure when they are getting really close to laying. For now, probably don't need to worry much. The lack of food consumption is common as they get closer to laying.

Lats and some other small species rarely use a lay bin in their enclosure. Although this works for common species like panthers and veileds, success tends to be much higher when lateralis are placed in a separate lay bin. Basically keep doing what you're doing-20 days is pretty early to lay eggs anyway.

She probably is gravid. Trending weights in small species like this are not always helpful. If you are very confident, you can very carefully palpate her for eggs. This involves lightly moving your fingers together while in contact with her belly. Alternatively, you should be able to see the outlines of an egg or two on her side when she is at rest. 20 days is somewhat early for her to be depositing eggs. 20-30 is a general range so she probably has a few more days before she is ready. For now, probably nothing to worry about. Make sure calcium rich food is being offered regularly along with water and keep placing her in the bin. Usually they will start to appear restless and will cruise around the enclosure when they are getting really close to laying. For now, probably don't need to worry much. The lack of food consumption is common as they get closer to laying.

Lats and some other small species rarely use a lay bin in their enclosure. Although this works for common species like panthers and veileds, success tends to be much higher when lateralis are placed in a separate lay bin. Basically keep doing what you're doing-20 days is pretty early to lay eggs anyway.
Thanks for the reply. I placed her in the bin again this morning and she dug a bit of a hole for the first time. She ended up leaving that spot and seems to be starting another one. I'm not gonna even try to peek for the next few hours so I don't disturb her.

I have a pair of carpet chameleons and they locked up 20 days ago (Aug. 30). The female was 16.31 grams on sept.
IMG20230915183812.jpg

6th, 17 grams on the 15th, and 16.81 grams today. I've haven't seen her eat the last two days and she'll usually eat out of my hand or tongs. I've put her in a warm lay bin the last three days but she just sits in the corner. Does the weight seem right? Is there anything I can do to tell forsure? Ive attached photos and she looks gravid imo.
I want to make a bin also. Mind me asking what type of bin and substrate you're using?

Back
Top Bottom