A few years in the making......

So its taken you years to finally get a pair that will breed.? Dang....how long does incubation and everything last.? Are their lifespans just as long.?

I have heard of melleri being 15 years old. maybe older. My big boy Henry has been with me for about 4 years and he seems 'older'. He seemed older when I got him... say maybe 3-4 years old already, maybe 5?. Lenny is a WC and has been with me like 4.5 years and is in great shape, i'd say she was 2-2.5 years old when I got her. They are all very active at say 6-8 years old. Panthers that old hardly even move.

Incubation is sort of short. say 3-6 months depending. Melleri host the eggs for a while as they grow so incubation is short.

Yes, it has tanken a couple of years to get a 'pair' I've had this threesome in the same free range for about 2 years now. Sam finally had the balls to make a move. He gets his boy colors and struts but has never made a move... or at least has always been rejected. Julie TenBensel told me she found that separating the male from the female for a little bit helps them to 'connect'. But Sam is kind of a puss and likes to wonder off when he's been rejected. He might have been 'out' of the free range for a week or two, maybe three weeks leading up to the mating. Lately he has been back in the free range more often but still seems frustrated.

Sam did mate with George again the other day. Sam tries to mate with Lenny but she seems to be shutting him down with a stunned look on her face and then a couple of 'back off' swings of the tail and lobe flapping followed up with a rostrum punch and push.

Ahh...well I hope all is successful for you. Melleri are truly an amazing chameleon, I so badly wish I could own one. But sadly, my mother is highly against free ranging any type of reptile in my house. So until then, I can just look at other's.

This thread is amazing! Fantastic job btw, all your patience and hardwork is beginning to pay off! Keep us updated for sure! P.S. I WANT ON THE BABY LIST!!! That's funny that your male is such a little nancy boy haha:D

Any updates?!?

It's going to have to be another few years I think. None of the eggs made it. I am not sure what happened. Slowly they would just shrink up. I mostly think it was temp and humidity related.

Bummer, will have to try again. :eek:

The parents are also no long with us anymore. :(

It's going to have to be another few years I think. None of the eggs made it. I am not sure what happened. Slowly they would just shrink up. I mostly think it was temp and humidity related.

Bummer, will have to try again. :eek:

The parents are also no long with us anymore. :(

What?!? Sorry to hear this! :( Did you re-home the parents?

Back
Top Bottom