Panther with gular edema

davisc12

I have a panther who was very bright when i got him but his color seemed to fade and he aquired a gular edema. He continued to look pale and finally shed last weed. I thought his color would come back, and while it is better than leading up to the shed, he still looks worse then when i got gim and still has that edema. Im on several face book pages and have gone over the husbandry countless times but still cant figure out what to do.

I have a panther who was very bright when i got him but his color seemed to fade and he aquired a gular edema. He continued to look pale and finally shed last weed. I thought his color would come back, and while it is better than leading up to the shed, he still looks worse then when i got gim and still has that edema. Im on several face book pages and have gone over the husbandry countless times but still cant figure out what to do.
Are you able to share a photo of him? Now and when he was looking better?

Are you able to share a photo of him? Now and when he was looking better?
This is when i got him
20231014_160925.jpg
20231015_175613.jpg

While it doesn’t seem to be a terribly common occurrence, some panthers do lose their colors for a few months. I don’t know why it happens. I’ve had it happen with two seperate males. For mine it happened during the late winter months and color came back in spring. Pics of my boys below.
The gular edema is something else. What supplements are you using and what is the schedule? Are you using any bee pollen?

Jack at his palest
IMG_2016.jpeg

His colors returned just as quickly as they had faded.
IMG_2400.jpeg

With no warning, Bart paled like this.
IMG_5880.jpeg

After a few agonizing months for me, his colors returned within just a couple of weeks.
IMG_6089.jpeg

While it doesn’t seem to be a terribly common occurrence, some panthers do lose their colors for a few months. I don’t know why it happens. I’ve had it happen with two seperate males. For mine it happened during the late winter months and color came back in spring. Pics of my boys below.
The gular edema is something else. What supplements are you using and what is the schedule? Are you using any bee pollen?

Jack at his palest
View attachment 354903

View attachment 354904

View attachment 354902

After a few agonizing months for me, his colors returned within just a couple of weeks.
View attachment 354901
This is good to hear. I do not use bee pollen and i was using rapashy plus but havnt been using it the last mont as i figured an overdose is what led to the edema.

Jack at his palest
View attachment 354903

View attachment 354904

View attachment 354902

View attachment 354901
What a makeover haha. Hopefully my guy will bounce back.

This is good to hear. I do not use bee pollen and i was using rapashy plus but havnt been using it the last mont as i figured an overdose is what led to the edema.
Yes, the Repashy calcium plus is high in D3 and should not really be used for chameleons. I know that Kammerflage uses it for every feeding, but their uvb lights are T8.
So for supplements you want to be using a phosphorus free calcium without D3, like Repashy Supercal, (no D3) lightly dusted at every feeding. Then one feeding every other week you want to use either Repashy calcium plus LoD or Reptivite with D3. You should get the calcium started and then in another week or so, start the other. You don’t want him to be without for much longer or then he’ll be heading towards mbd. Keep him well hydrated of course. It has been said in the past that natural sunlight will help eliminate supplemented D3, but I believe that was just anecdotal. It’s always nice though to give our chams a little bit of fresh air and sunshine though…very carefully supervised! I hold my chams when I take them out. Besides being able to escape, there’s always a predator somewhere in the grass or in the sky.

Yes, the Repashy calcium plus is high in D3 and should not really be used for chameleons. I know that Kammerflage uses it for every feeding, but their uvb lights are T8.
So for supplements you want to be using a phosphorus free calcium without D3, like Repashy Supercal, (no D3) lightly dusted at every feeding. Then one feeding every other week you want to use either Repashy calcium plus LoD or Reptivite with D3. You should get the calcium started and then in another week or so, start the other. You don’t want him to be without for much longer or then he’ll be heading towards mbd. Keep him well hydrated of course. It has been said in the past that natural sunlight will help eliminate supplemented D3, but I believe that was just anecdotal. It’s always nice though to give our chams a little bit of fresh air and sunshine though…very carefully supervised! I hold my chams when I take them out. Besides being able to escape, there’s always a predator somewhere in the grass or in the sky.
Mine refuses to be held or come to me so getting him outside is not going to be easy or without alot of stress. I am still using calcium with every feeding and was only using the plus a few times a month but beleive i was still over doing it.

Mine refuses to be held or come to me so getting him outside is not going to be easy or without alot of stress. I am still using calcium with every feeding and was only using the plus a few times a month but beleive i was still over doing it.
You don’t have to take him outside if it’s stressful. It’s my vets advice when I asked him about my panther losing color, but that’s always his advice about everything. A vet visit and having some labs done to check organ function and all is always a good idea, even if just for peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom