Should a Chameleon be this dark when under the UVB

dee1

Hi all,

My chameleon is about 5 months old. He was under the UVB this morning, but he was quite dark to me. I know when he is basking, he does brown/black, but today, he was very dark under the UVB.

I have attached pictures of him on the branch.

IMG_4198 and 4197 are him under the UVB looking dark.

IMG_4100 are his normal colours, and IMG_4088 is him basking.

Thanks,
Dylan

Attachments

• IMG_4198.jpeg
    IMG_4198.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4100.jpeg
    IMG_4100.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4088.jpeg
    IMG_4088.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi. I know it’s a stupid question, but have you checked that all of your lights are working properly? Have you checked what his current basking temp is?
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

All plugs are in, and the basking temp the women at Kammerflage Kreations recommended the basking be at 94 F, as that's what he always had. The UV is working; I just checked it. He also only ate the big crickets and none of the small ones and is just gone into the leaves. The overall tank temp is 73F.

His colour looks good now.

I think he's just a very moody guy, to be honest!

Attachments

• IMG_4202.jpeg
    IMG_4202.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4203.jpeg
    IMG_4203.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4204.jpeg
    IMG_4204.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4205.jpeg
    IMG_4205.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I keep my male panthers around 87 Fahrenheit. I had my oldest get a burn before at 90ish degrees. I agree check your bulbs and temps and if they are good, he’s probably being moody or self temperature regulating.

I would reduce the heat... 80-85 range. Hotter is not better for them. Which UVB lighting fixture type and bulb strength did you get?
Hi,

Sorry for the late response, I wasn't logged in and didn't see the message!

I'm using a Uvb 5.0 HO T5 it's currently about 8-9 inches from the top branch.

Thanks,
Dylan

I keep my male panthers around 87 Fahrenheit. I had my oldest get a burn before at 90ish degrees. I agree check your bulbs and temps and if they are good, he’s probably being moody or self-temperature-regulating
Sorry for my late reply. I wasn't logged in, so I didn't see the responses.

Oh jeez, I will Definitely reduce it!

Yeah, he seems good he's eating a moving loads again maybe Sunday is his day of rest 😂

I also noticed he had one eye closed during the day a week ago, but both eyes are open, and he's been moving around for a week since then. It's been a good few days since I saw the right eye closed, but today, I was able to take a snap of him while sleeping. I am unsure if the eye on the right is slightly swollen or not, and this might be the reason for him being out off then.

Thanks for your help again!
Dylan

Attachments

• IMG_4280.jpeg
    IMG_4280.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4279.jpeg
    IMG_4279.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4275.jpeg
    IMG_4275.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4281.jpeg
    IMG_4281.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4282.jpeg
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 7
@dee1
Is your top screen metal? If so, that 5.0 bulb is not strong enough to penetrate through.
Put the fixture directly on the top screen until you order or get a stronger bulb. Also Amazon allows payments for the solar meter.

@dee1
Is your top screen metal? If so, that 5.0 bulb is not strong enough to penetrate through.
Put the fixture directly on the top screen until you order or get a stronger bulb. Also Amazon allows payments for the solar meter.
@EmilioTheAnkify It's on top of the cage mesh, so I'll drop it to only 4-5 inches off the top branch. Is that too close?

Thanks,
Dylan

I have a metal top screen with a 12% t5 on 1 inch blocks sitting on top of the screen. And his main/top branch is 6-7 inches from the top. And that branch usually reads 2.7-3.0

Back
Top Bottom