? your recommendation on zoo´s in Boston / Washington D.C. / New York

Hello,

we start our vacation to USA next Thursday. Do you have a recommendation for a real good zoo in Boston / Washington D.C. / New York??
Especially for chameleons?????

We heard that the Bronx zoo and the national zoo in Washington should be good.....

Greetings, Peter

Hey Dustin, thank you. I´m so happy to be again in the USA, because is it my favorite vacation country and the sixth visit. I'm afraid my English is a bit rusty, the last visit was in 2003 or 2004. But chameleonforums.com is a good training. :D

The only depressive point for me is the visit of the WTC place in NYC, because I have seen them in 1991 or 1992 and I was on top. :(

Our trip plan is Boston - Buffalo - Toronto - Washington D.C. - Philadelphia - NYC. If anybody have tips what we should see it will be welcome, especially on the way from Buffalo to Washington D.C..

I haven't been to the Bronx Zoo in 2 years, but the last time I was there they had a male ambilobe.

I think it's a great Zoo to visit while you are in NYC.

You can check out the Amazonia exhibit at the DC Zoo. They have an indoor rainforest with impressive Arapaima and Arowana's etc...

They have an OK reptile display too...

If you're in NYC, I would visit the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. It's been a while since I've paid a visit but I recall it being very serene. Especially by the Kiwi Tree trellises.

If you're in Philadelphia and appreciate medical history, you should stop by the Mutter Museum. It's a bit modest in size but holds a tremendous amount of fascinating medical oddities and truly honors the history of antique medical practice.

In Boston there is the Boston Aquarium, which is always a nice stop for a few hours.

That's all I can think of this early in the morning....

Welcome and have fun!

Luis

Also, if you are in Philly I would take the trip across the bridge to New Jersey and visit the Camden Aquarium. They have a beautiful shark tank setup and some other nice displays.

You should also plan a trip (in the future) to San Diego so you can visit the San Diego Zoo and the Wildlife park they have out that. Probably the two best animal places I have visited.

Enjoy your trip!!

The Bronx Zoo and National Zoo are excellent Zoos. The Buffalo Zoo used to have C. p. parsonii and F. balteatus but I think they may have died over the last few years since I was there. They only ever had a single male F. balteatus on display, the rest were all behind the scenes and you needed to know the curators to see them.

Chris

I have never been to the DC zoo but I like spending time in the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History + its free. Their skeleton section is really cool!

The Bronx Zoo is awesome, they have a recently opened (within the last year or two) Madagascar exhibit! I don't remember if they have any chameleons in there or in the reptile house, but there are some great exhibits and there is always some new project going on or new animal on display.

It is broken up into different continents- you can visit the Americas, Asia, Africa, etc. and other exhibits such as Jungle World, A great bird house and aviary with penguins, World of Darkness, a huge and gorgeous gorilla exhibit that includes mandrills and okapis.

If you go there, make sure to get there when it opens because you can get there an hour after openning, spend the whole day, and still not see everything.

I just thought, you may already be on vacation :eek:I didn't check the dates on this thread!

At all - THANK YOU for Your recommendations!!!!! :D

Now we are back at home for 2 weeks and work got us back. :(
But we had very nice weeks in the USA and we spent each a day at the Bronx and the National Zoo - it was great!!!! We can not believe, that the National Zoo is free!!!!

Some pictures as a litte thanks-nicely from the Zoo´s:

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

USA%20308.jpg

... and some nice impressions of the trip, for those, who are interested.

Niagara Falls - from Canada
IMG_1609.jpg

Washington DC - The Mall
IMG_2287.jpg

Washington DC - Lincoln Memorial
IMG_2305.jpg

Philadelphia - Independence Hall
IMG_2720.JPG

NYC at night from Empire State Building
IMG_3187.JPG

NYC - Brooklyn Bridge
IMG_3228.JPG