Yay!... New Camera!!

Malicious

I have been thinking about replacing my older camera for quite a while now, and finnaly ordered it tonight.

I was replacing a Sony DSC-P150 7.2mp digital, I had it for many years and it provided great pictures, but it was time to upgrade.

I did a lot of compairing and shopping before I made up my mind and heres what I got..:):):):):)

The Canon EOS Rebel XSi EF-S 18-55IS.....and all the accesories!:D

canon_xsi18-55is.jpg

Canon's link to the camera... http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=16307

Nice cam you wont get better than canon.....My girlfriend has EOS 5D (not cheap!) but quality is amazing!!!!!

I bought an XSI a few months ago. You'll like it! I was comparing with the Nikons. What I found was the Nikons picked up colors better on the auto settings, but the Cannon just "felt" better in the hand and you can compensate by adjusting settings for colors. Overall, I'm very happy with it.

May I suggest the "Spot" Metering mode when shooting your chameleons in the center of the frame. The spot mode adjusts for light in the center circle of the view finder. You'll get better exposures of your chameleon with this mode. Also, shoot in aperture priority and set the picture style to landscape. Aperture priority with a low setting will blur the background and make your cham "pop" in the pic. Landscape mode emphasizes greens and blues and I think results in a truer depiction of my chams at least

Some pics I've taken with the XSI

IMG_5926m.jpg

IMG_6309c.jpg

IMG_6539-1.jpg

Holding her umbrella waiting for the impending rain :D
IMG_4640.jpg

Also, You'll find what you can do with these cameras is amazing. This pic was taken through the screen cage. The focus ability is amazing!
IMG_5337.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Kev, those are some really nice pictures. Thanks for posting them.:) I am glad to know someone else has the same camera and can give me some advice!:D I ordered a user DVD for the camera aswell, basically explains the features and how to apply them in different settings. I have a lot to learn with all those features!:eek::)

-Jay

Hey Jay,

I've been a photographer my whole life, so if ya need any help or have questions, just ask.

personaly, I wont buy a digi SLR as I got sick of carrying a ton of lenses and flashes just for some stupid birthday party...so all my old film SLRs are collecting dust in my closet.
but I can't use a simple point and shoot eather due to the lack of creative features...so I'm using the canon G9.
it's small (ok, for a point and shoot it's not small), I can take it anywhere, and takes wonderful photos.
maybe one day I'll make the jump to a digital SLR, but I realy like my freedom with this new camera I have.

anyway, GL with it.

Harry

It works!!!

I took over 500 photos in the last 24 hours, and boy is it confusing:confused: to get things set right for each shot. All these were shot in the manual modes, and are not perfect. I want to really use the camera for what it was intended for, and not use the preset modes. I bought a photography dvd and it explains all the features and what each does for the photo. I am still a bit overwhemed, but thats to be expected at first. Here are a few, please tell me what you think.:)

That black and white is captivating! Nice shot and love the expression on the chams face!

Hey Jay,

totaly awesome pics.
grats again with the new camera.

when you are ready for ring lights and other special things don't forget to PM me.

P.S. Oh, and I agree with Kevin's ideas for settings...
although I do prefer to fix stuff in lightroom as I get lazy with my camera settings at times.
(and I do shoot alot in RAW modes anyway)

I took over 500 photos in the last 24 hours, and boy is it confusing:confused: to get things set right for each shot. All these were shot in the manual modes, and are not perfect. I want to really use the camera for what it was intended for, and not use the preset modes. I bought a photography dvd and it explains all the features and what each does for the photo. I am still a bit overwhemed, but thats to be expected at first. Here are a few, please tell me what you think.:)

Nice pictures!!!!! Looks like you're getting the hang of it!

I really like the first black and white one! The rusty nails and bolts are cool, too! Have fun with your new toy and keep posting the pics!:D

Random tangent* The rusty bolt. . . That would be an awesome bar name. Might draw a rough crowd though. :p

And great shots

Last edited:
The pictures are great, I would not guess you are using a camera you are not familar with. Also I love the dog. Keep post the pic's.

Back
Top Bottom