wood cage

silentvoice19

ok im looking into building a wooden cage and i was wondering since its goin to get fairly humid in this cage what type of wood should i use?Something that can handle water very well and will not turn into a moldy beast.Also what size nails/staples should i use 2 penny nail maby?

You can use whatever wood you want. You have to TREAT it is the trick!

I recommend at least 3 coats of poly, let each coat dry a day before applying the next. Once the final coat has been applied, make sure it cures for about a week before putting your cham in its new home.

many opinions on what to coat wood with. i finally decided to use water based polyurethane. that is what people use on kitchen tables so if its good for me consider it good for my chams. wikipedia has a good description of most types of wood sealant under varnish heading. i was afraid of the oil bases besause they are essentially very slow moving liquids and never actually dry

The choice of wood will depend on your budget. the more expensive the wood the more likely you will find it straight but hardwoods are harder:rolleyes: to nail/staple and may need pre drilling.

i found the bigger question was screen size. i am currently building my own cages and will post my process soon. i will be using 1/2 nylon coated wire on inside and aluminun screen on outside with varnish, treated and allowed to dry lumber

Good luck

Sean

Last edited:
hmmm ok well ive talked to alot of people and about half said i can use that small metal screen and the other half said that small fiberglass type screen i dunno im gonna head to lowes or menards and check it out today.

ok ive gotten everything and i think im gonna try a write up for all of the new guys and or people wanting to build a cage. Im goin to build my cage to W22",L34",H48". I may go smaller on my width i havent really decided yet. But i have all of monday off and ill start the build. Ill make a list of all of the stores ive gotten my plants building supplies vitamins vines etc from.

Back
Top Bottom